Sign in to follow this  
Bigs

Fishing grass and structure with GLX rods

I was lookin into some GLX rods to pair up with my new steez, pixy and tdz and have a few questions. One description of the GLX BCR853 said "A really well balanced worm rod for deep-water applications. Designed more for open-water situations where the cover isn't too thick, but will surprise you when you need to put the pressure on even a big bass"

I dont get it, this is a medium heavy extra fast so why wouldnt it handle thick stuff ? I fish alot of grass on the potomac and never have a problem with my medium heavy rods and even my mediums. Is there a better choice in the glx lineup for fishing soft plastics in grass ? How does loomis's version of medium heavy compare to st croix or shimano ? Are they under powered ?

The 853 is probably just fine, but I have

the 854 and GUARANTEE it will work

for you.

The 853 is probably just fine, but I have

the 854 and GUARANTEE it will work

for you.

Havin spent the last hour researchin all the glx casting rods I thought the same thing, the 854 is a better choice. So far I have a list of the rods I think suit my needs, I still havent been thru the entire glx lineup but here is what I have so far to cover my basic techniques:

BCR893 Senko rod 7'5 mh extra fast

BCR875 Carolina rig 7'3 mag heavy fast (punchin mats)

CR722 "walk the dog" for topwater plugs 6' medium fast

BCR852 buzzbait rod 7'1 medium ex fast

BCR854 deep water jig rod heavy cover 7'1 heavy ex fast

BCR803 6 inch texas worm rod 6'8 MH ex fast

BCR863 light pitchin/flippin/small medium swimbaits 7'2 MH fast

BCR894 flippin stick 7'5 heavy fast

Well now...That's quite a list.

I guess that covers it all, but look at

the MBR844C which overlaps with the

BCR854. Also, the MBR842 which is a

favorite of most Loomis guys for lighter

applications.

BTW, Although I don't own the BCR893,

everyone says this is THE BOMB for

soft plastics in general and the Senko in

particular.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

I have the 854 and agree that it would be your rod for thicker stuff.

The only question I have about your list is the 803 for 6" worms. If you fish it weightless you may be ok, but according to several members the weight range for the 803 is around 3/8oz.  Might want to look into the longer 853 for that application.  This is just my opinion.  ;)

Yes quite a list indeed and that is the condensed version ;) And trust me the BCR893 is at the top of my list for a reason. Its the rod Im gonna at least 35 percent of the time. I fish 5 inch senkos, 1/8 ounce buzzbaits, topwater plugs(poppers and walking)stanley ribbits and swim jigs the most. I plan on punchin mats alot more this coming year tho and fishing carolina rigs more too. The only rod Im not so sure bout is the frog rod, should I try the new loomis frog rod or will something from the glx lineup suit my needs better ?

And I agree the more I think bout it, the 853 might suit my texas rigged worm needs better then the 803. Ijust think the 803 is a great versatile rod that i need in my collection. If I get a better deal on the 853 then Im gonna get it but I see alot of good deals on the 803 all the time, seems like a popular rod in the for sale sections, i wonder why.

A lot of people use the 874/5 as their frog rod. We do not have much cover here in N. Illinois so I thought about the new TWFR 854. I also throw a lot of buzzfrogs and according to Bantam, the tip action was made for them. The other frog rod is just a little too long for my liking right now.

He also assured me that there is a difference in the action between the bcr854 and twfr854.

I would have it for Christmas if it wasn't for some bills we have coming.  ;)

on a sidenote i found a seller on ebay who sells alot of the glx rods for 280 shipped new. using bing dotcom cash back which is currently at 8 percent brings u around 260 shipped ! probably gonna be ordering 2 or 3 for now till i sell all my other rods then I can get a few more.