Sign in to follow this  
ww2farmer

Spinning rod dilema

I usually carry 4 spinning rods on the boat with me, and thats 1 too many (thats why I  have 2 for sale). I am not parting with my 7' ML Avid, thats my drop shot and finesse rod, or my 6' M Avid, I use that alot for skipping docks, small topwaters, and in creeks and tight spots where a short rod is handy. My thinking is to part ways with the 7'M, and the 6'6"M Avids. I used the 7' er for dragging tubes, senkos, small jigs, shaky head and assorted other soft plastics. The 6'6" was used for all of those things except tube dragging, but picked up hard jerkbait and small crankbait duty. Both rods had reel with 8lb Fluorocarbon  on them. My thinking was to replace these 2 with one 6'8" M/XF Avid, thoughts? Advice?

Thanks guys.

I think it will work fine for everything except for the last two techniques you described...jerkbaits and crankbaits. The tip is way too fast for either in my opinion.

How about picking up the AVS68MXF and then an Avid 6'6 Medium casting rod for treble hook lures?

I have a 7' M Legend tournament casting rod I use for shallow/mid depth cranks, and a 6'6" M Legend tournament casting rod I use for jerkbaits. The spinning rods were only used for small stuff like floating Rapalas, #5 shad raps, #8 X-raps, and stuff like that. I am thinking I would use the 7' ML Avid, and/or the 6' M Avid for those now, and the 6'8" would be jigs/plastics exclusivly.

I don't understand why you would sell both to buy a new rod of the same type.  Why can't you throw the rapalas on the 7'.  I find that a 7'M does everthing you need it for.  I only carry two spinning rods, a 7'M and a 7'MH, the only reason I have a MH is that I liked how it felt and a M wasn't in stock when I was looking.

I have a 7' M Legend tournament casting rod I use for shallow/mid depth cranks, and a 6'6" M Legend tournament casting rod I use for jerkbaits. The spinning rods were only used for small stuff like floating Rapalas, #5 shad raps, #8 X-raps, and stuff like that. I am thinking I would use the 7' ML Avid, and/or the 6' M Avid for those now, and the 6'8" would be jigs/plastics exclusivly.

Gotcha, I think you will be fine then. I understand what you mean about those shallow shad raps. Those things are light. I think they would be fine on any of those spinning rods then.

I don't understand why you would sell both to buy a new rod of the same type. Why can't you throw the rapalas on the 7'. I find that a 7'M does everthing you need it for. I only carry two spinning rods, a 7'M and a 7'MH, the only reason I have a MH is that I liked how it felt and a M wasn't in stock when I was looking.

I find myself not really liking the 7' M for alot of the stuff I use it for,I am sure most would like it just fine,but I want something different, and having the 6'6" M is overkill on the spinning rod department. I have played with 6'8" M/XF in the store and it is a TOTALY different feeling rod than both the 6'6", and 7' M/F, and the XF action seem more suited to tubes, jigs, and plastics. Yes, the 7' M/F is probably the best "all purpose" spinning rod I have, but at this point thats not what I am looking for, I want a rod suited more for the technique I am fishing. I'll adapt other rods for now to pick up the other minor things I do with these rods. Like I said, I am comfortable tossing jerkbaits on the 6' M, and small cranks on the 7' ML. I am also looking to cut down the # of rods I carry, and carrying 4 spinning rods, when 2 of them (the 7'M, and 6'6"M) are basicly doing the same things for me seems senseless, not to mention another reel I have to keep/maintain, and more importanly, buy line for.

how many combos are you looking to carry?

Well last year I carried as many as 14 at times, and no fewer than 12 all season long. This year I want to keep it under 10. The rod locker on the boat stays much more orginized that way.

Getcha some bait casters, then you won't have to worry about all those spinning rods ;)

I have a "few" :D