Sign in to follow this  
slonezp

Flipping line?

Last year I bought a Fenwick HMG/AV rod and an Ardent 500 reel. If I remember correctly I put a copolymer line on the reel which was recommended by the guy at Cabelas. Don't remember what brand or lb test it was. I'm not too happy with the line as it has alot of memory and seems to loosen up on the spool. Can I get some recomendations as to brands, types,and what lb test you guys recommend. Is braid an option? Alone or with a leader? Thanks

Depends what you are flippin' into and what kind of cover. I use 65 Power Pro Braid in the California Delta. Some nasty stuff out there.  Again it all depends.

If the water is stained, and most flippin water is, braid has advantages. It's stronger, has no stretch, cuts vegetation and is somewhat more sensitive than most lines. If the water is clearer 100 % flouro may be a better option but you will have use a heavier test rating depending on the cover you fish. I try at all costs not to leader any line when flipping. The knot is where the failure would most likely be. Hope Santa brings you a gift card to buy new line. ;)

20lb Gamma or Trilene 100% Fluoro

or

50 or 65lb PowerPro Braid