Sign in to follow this  
bwell

Keeping reels outside when its cold

Is this a bad idea or will my reels be fine?  I have always kept everything outside but now I am starting to get better gear and I don't want to hurt anything...

By outside - do you mean a dry, unheated space?  Or outdoors?

I would think that storage indoors at room temperature and low humidity would be best if possible.

In my case, all my gear is in my garage which is insulated but unheated and can drop as low as 38 or so during the coldest part of the winter. So far, no problems with my stuff as far as corrosion or other adverse affects that I've noticed. Perhaps grease in the reels could get a bit stiff and I don't know if there is any long-term effect on the lubricity of the grease or oil...

if you are questioning it, bring them in!  It wont hurt to have them in a nice warm house for the winter..  I'm sure you can make room for them in your house.

I feel a lot more comfortable with mine in my bedroom then out freezing in the garage all winter.

if you are questioning it, bring them in! It wont hurt to have them in a nice warm house for the winter.. I'm sure you can make room for them in your house.

I feel a lot more comfortable with mine in my bedroom then out freezing in the garage all winter.

I guess if you don't have a wife in the bedroom, a fishing rod will have to do.  ;D

All my stuff is in the garage that is insulated pretty well...  I don't really have too much room in the house to bring them in but can if it will ruin my gear.

By outside - do you mean a dry, unheated space? Or outdoors?

I would think that storage indoors at room temperature and low humidity would be best if possible.

In my case, all my gear is in my garage which is insulated but unheated and can drop as low as 38 or so during the coldest part of the winter. So far, no problems with my stuff as far as corrosion or other adverse affects that I've noticed. Perhaps grease in the reels could get a bit stiff and I don't know if there is any long-term effect on the lubricity of the grease or oil...

i keep my good reels inside and my ok reels in the garage

I have a twin bed in my guest room and tuck them in at night and bring them down to watch TV during the day. Just kidding . I keep them in the house in my spair room . Check with your local Gander Mtn. Sometimes when they change the layout and display in the stores they give away the rod display racks .Most of the time they just throw them away anyways .