Sign in to follow this  
VAfishin4me

2 vs. 1; Christmas sale

At the moment I could get 2 Daiwa reels (Sol, and Fuego) for about the same price as a Shimano Core 50mg or 100mgfv due to sales.  I have heard the sol is especially good at casting lighter baits, and the fuego would complement it. Basically it would provide me with a plastics reel, and cranking reel. The core however, has gotten phenominal reviews, and has been compared to the Steez, for much less money. However, it still comes in at over 350 dollars. I just wanted to get some opinions. What would you do, or recommend out of those two choices; the two Daiwas or one Shimano beast? Please keep in mind I will also have to find rods for whichever reels I buy, so it would probably be more expensive to get the two, but I am NOT looking for rod suggestions here. Thanks  ;D

I own and have used every reel you mentioned. My personal favorite of them all is the Shimano Core 100 MgFV (The Core is an unbelievable reel, but I don't know if I would say it is the same as the Steez. The Steez is just unearthly, while the Core is by far the best reel that is earthly). But you have to look at your objective and need. I use the Sol for shallow crankbaits and am getting another one for spinnerbaits, because I like a slower IPT reel for these applications. I use the Core 100MgFV for Flippping, Frogs, Carolina Rigs, & Weighted Plastics, because I like a high IPT rate for these applications. The Core 50 Mg7 I use for light weight plastics and tubes, which is another application I like a higher IPT rate and a reel that can cast lighter lures. The Fuego is like a utility reel, I use it for applications I don't have a specific IPT preference in mind (if that makes any sense). So, you can't go wrong with any one of these, but there are reels that are better for certain applications over another, because of their IPT rate.

I would personally go for the two Daiwas, unless you already have all the combos you need and are just looking to upgrade. All are good options, and I certainly don't think you would be disappointed with the Daiwas despite their lower price.

I just bought a brand new in the box steez for 336 bux shipped, same price basically as a core.It's a lil nicer then the core no doubt but then again dawia is nicer then shimano across the board in general. If you're interested in a sol and fuego baitcaster I have an extra fuego I would sell you and a sol. I live an hour from you and Im down in ashland sometimes so we could meet up. You will love both reels and mine are in great condition. The fuego is great for casting light stuff so is the sol. I like the fuego better personally but some people would disagree. I wouldnt bother with a core when you can get a steez on ebay all day for 350 bux. Even my girlfriend got a lil jealous the other day when my steez arived cuz i kept touching it and caressing it haha. It is sexy indeed. PM me if you want the fuego and sol, I would sell you both with the boxes and manuals for 240 bux, the sol is basically mint condition and the fuego is very close to the same condition. Both are about 6 months old.

I just bought a brand new in the box steez for 336 bux shipped, same price basically as a core.It's a lil nicer then the core no doubt but then again dawia is nicer then shimano across the board in general. If you're interested in a sol and fuego baitcaster I have an extra fuego I would sell you and a sol. I live an hour from you and Im down in ashland sometimes so we could meet up. You will love both reels and mine are in great condition. The fuego is great for casting light stuff so is the sol. I like the fuego better personally but some people would disagree. I wouldnt bother with a core when you can get a steez on ebay all day for 350 bux. Even my girlfriend got a lil jealous the other day when my steez arived cuz i kept touching it and caressing it haha. It is sexy indeed. PM me if you want the fuego and sol, I would sell you both with the boxes and manuals for 240 bux, the sol is basically mint condition and the fuego is very close to the same condition. Both are about 6 months old.

The good news about eBay is that you can get a Core for around $240 (I got one as low as $218)

:-?