Sign in to follow this  
greggie1

ultra light rod and reel?

I am thinking of purchasing an ultra light rod and reel in the very near future and was just wanting some opinions on what a good one would be.  Not looking to break the bank on one but not going to get one just because its cheap.  Looking for quality.  Thanks for any responses.

i think a pflueger president or trion in their 20 size would fit the bill. paired with one of those shimano voltaeus rods. maybe a microlite rod from bps.

what do you want to spend?

Looking for quality, that 's what you said, if I were you and taking in consideration that I own a rod of this brand:

Rod: GraphiteLeader Bosco GLBS602UL

BOSCO-GLBS-602UL.jpg

Reel, I don 't own this one but it 's available at where the rod is available ( I own a Daiwa Revros 2004 ):

Reel: Shimano Nasci 2500S

NASCI.jpg

Man, I love that Bosco rod.

i think a pflueger president or trion in their 20 size would fit the bill. paired with one of those shimano voltaeus rods. maybe a microlite rod from bps.

what do you want to spend?

I can vouch for the Trion. I've got one on my ul rig, going on it's third season. Early last spring I foul hooked an 8lb+ brown carp that turned out to be quite a fight. The drag was flawless and the reel didn't flinch. On top of all of that, I'll put Pflueger's bail system up against any other one out there.

As far as rods go, I've got the BPS Micro Lite. It's an ok rod but you can do better. My next ul stick will likely be a St. Croix Premier. Another thing on rods - most ul rods seem to run 5' to 5' 6" long. At the very minimum I'd go 6', preferably 6' 6". You will get much better casting distance with a longer rod, especially throwing tiny baits.

You will have a blast with ultra lite.

St Croix Avid 5'-0" UL Fast

Shimano Symetre 500FJ

This is my ultralight setup and it works great. I like using the shorter UL rods because they make fighting the fish more fun and don't get tangled in the underbrush when fishing deep in the woods.

Another vote for the trion. Im not huge on the rosewood knob but i still love the little thing. It's an absolute blast to pick up my UL 6' clarus ang go to work on those bas with 4 lb test! It definately teaches you proper fish fighting skills as well. Pretty soon youll tell them when they can stop taking drag, not to jump, which way to turn, and most importantly open wide for my thumb  ;D