Sign in to follow this  
Goose52

BPS Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reel - New Ratios Available

I'm a fan of this reel and have three of the 2009 models with dual braking. However, so far they have only had two gear ratios - 6.4 and 7.1. I visited the BPS web site today and just noticed that they added two new ratios - 4.7 and 5.2. They have the line recovery rate wrong on the web site but I would expect these reels to be down in the 19" to 21" range. I'm not trying to reopen the argument as to whether you really need a slow reel for cranking ... but if you like slow reels, here's another option.

Now, I have to wait until they mark them down to $80 (they're at full price right now - $100).

I'm a fan of this reel and have three of the 2009 models with dual braking. However, so far they have only had two gear ratios - 6.4 and 7.1. I visited the BPS web site today and just noticed that they added two new ratios - 4.7 and 5.2. They have the line recovery rate wrong on the web site but I would expect these reels to be down in the 19" to 21" range. I'm not trying to reopen the argument as to whether you really need a slow reel for cranking ... but if you like slow reels, here's another option.

Now, I have to wait until they mark them down to $80 (they're at full price right now - $100).

The 7.x & 6.x is $79 online and thats a great deal, that reel is very smooth.  Feel like a much more expensive reel.

I bought one back in the summer for my son to learn on, its a great reel, the dual braking system is great for learning, with both braking systems set to the max it is almost impossible to backlash.

Thanks for the heads up. I have two and plan on adding a couple more. I might have to add a slower speed...

I am looking into buying a P.Q. I currently use revo's but am tired of paying the price. How big of a drop off in performance should I expect with the P. Q. I bought an extreme this spring and do not like it.

I haven't used a Revo or an Extreme so I can't help you on this one. When I was shopping to upgrade my BC reels from a couple of mid-80s Shimanos that I had, I did some catalog browsing, some reading on the forums, and just jumped on the PQ. The reels has features, like dual-braking, that are usually only found on higher priced reels so the PQ seems to be a good value for the money. I'm committed to these now - I now have 4 PQs with 2 more planned ...

Otherwise, perhaps someone else with experience with all the reels that you mentioned will pipe in. One thing for sure, if Steezy thinks it's a pretty good reel, with his perspective, it must be so !

BTW - the 6.4 and 7.1 ratio PQs are still on sale on the BPS web site for $79.

I haven't a clue. If you miss this sale, they may end up on sale again during the big BPS Spring sale.

I'm waiting for the 4.7 ratio PQ to go on sale and I will grab one.

Just curious, why do you want a 4.3 ratio reel? I used to think I needed the slow gear ratio's for crankin' but that was a mistake. It smokes your wrist and elbow with all the extra revolutions. Now I just use a 6.4 for most of my crankin', just slow down a bit. But, I rarely crank more than 8 foot deep. I have several 3.8 and 4.4 reels gathering dust. 

Just curious, why do you want a 4.3 ratio reel? I used to think I needed the slow gear ratio's for crankin' but that was a mistake. It smokes your wrist and elbow with all the extra revolutions. Now I just use a 6.4 for most of my crankin', just slow down a bit. But, I rarely crank more than 8 foot deep. I have several 3.8 and 4.4 reels gathering dust.

All my BC reels right now are either 6.4 or 7.1 - I want to try one slow reel for DEEP cranking. Otherwise, I'm with you - I think the 6.4 works pretty well.

Well this settles it for me. I'll pick up a 5.2:1 this spring for deep cranking.

I am looking into buying a P.Q. I currently use revo's but am tired of paying the price. How big of a drop off in performance should I expect with the P. Q. I bought an extreme this spring and do not like it.

I have both Extremes and PQs. I like the Extremes for the money, but the PQs are much smoother reels, and the dual braking system is great. The 6.4:1 ratio is 26" Inches Per Turn which I find to be perfect for most of my fishing.

I reviewed a PQ in another thread after stripping one down and comparing it to a Revo and a Pflueger reel. I don't think you'll notice much difference fishing between the Revo's and the PQ. The frame is nearly identical as is the guts except the dual braking. On sale at $80, with a multitude of gear ratio's, This is easily the sleeper, bargain reel of the year.

I've fished both the revo stx and '09 pro qualifier. I sold the stx and kept the PQ. Really nice reel for the sale price I paid.

I bought the PQ yesterday,put line on today and threw it for a while. It is a good reel for the money,but it is no Revo. I do think it will have a home here in my arsenal though. I think I will open the side up and shut off all of the centrifical brakes and I will probably like it much better. It might cut down on the slight noise it makes while casting. All in all it is a good reel for the money!

I just ordered one of these online the other day. I got the 7.1 with the left handed retrieve. This is my first baitcaster, os is this actually as good of a reel as the reviews say?

I bought the PQ yesterday,put line on today and threw it for a while. It is a good reel for the money,but it is no Revo. I do think it will have a home here in my arsenal though. I think I will open the side up and shut off all of the centrifical brakes and I will probably like it much better. It might cut down on the slight noise it makes while casting. All in all it is a good reel for the money!

Did you check the spool shafts - I got a reel in that had grease on the shafts - I cleaned that off and put a drop of oil on each shaft, as well as a drop of oil on each of the three spool bearings and it made a difference...

Did you check the spool shafts - I got a reel in that had grease on the shafts - I cleaned that off and put a drop of oil on each shaft, as well as a drop of oil on each of the three spool bearings and it made a difference...

Is this a complicated process? I hope not and what kind of oil did you use? I have gun oil(CLP I believe) and some light GP oil.

You will do all right with it. It is a nice reel for the money and I will probably get another one.

Thats what I figured. I was going to get the tourney combo, but I had some extra cash so I went for this reel, and got a 6' Ugli Stick for it. I don't suppose you know if it would work alright with 10 lb line instead of 12?

I just ordered one of these online the other day. I got the 7.1 with the left handed retrieve. This is my first baitcaster, os is this actually as good of a reel as the reviews say?

It's gotten some good reviews from forum members here, it has a 4.8 star rating (with 88 reviews) on the BPS web site (FWIW), and those that actually own them usually say they are a good value. Right now, the right-hand models are sold out on the BPS web site. I've got 4 PQs and will be getting probably 2 more.

One thing for sure, the dual-braking feature sure makes learning a BC reel much easier and you will have fewer backlashes. With most baits, just turn on 2 of the centrifugal brakes, set the magnetic to 5-7 to start, and you will have a pretty conservative initial set-up. Don't forget to adjust the cast control/spool tension knob per the instructions.

Is this a complicated process? I hope not and what kind of oil did you use? I have gun oil(CLP I believe) and some light GP oil.

No, not at all - see the instructions. It shows you how to remove the palm-side plate and to remove the spool and also gives lubrication instructions. Reel oil is best. Some gun oils are probably light enough - like RemOil or equivalent. Not sure I would use BreakFree...

I don't suppose you know if it would work alright with 10 lb line instead of 12?

Sure - I have had 8, 10, and 12 lb line on my PQs.

I'll try that goose 52,thanks. Opening up the side is easy just read the instructions that come with it. Maybe I was to harsh on my post on this reel. It is a nice reel folks,real smooth. They are selling them fast, I got the last one yesterday at BPS.

It's gotten some good reviews from forum members here, it has a 4.8 star rating (with 88 reviews) on the BPS web site (FWIW), and those that actually own them usually say they are a good value. Right now, the right-hand models are sold out on the BPS web site. I've got 4 PQs and will be getting probably 2 more.

One thing for sure, the dual-braking feature sure makes learning a BC reel much easier and you will have fewer backlashes. With most baits, just turn on 2 of the centrifugal brakes, set the magnetic to 5-7 to start, and you will have a pretty conservative initial set-up. Don't forget to adjust the cast control/spool tension knob per the instructions.

No, not at all - see the instructions. It shows you how to remove the palm-side plate and to remove the spool and also gives lubrication instructions. Reel oil is best. Some gun oils are probably light enough - like RemOil or equivalent. Not sure I would use BreakFree...

I don't suppose you know if it would work alright with 10 lb line instead of 12?

Sure - I have had 8, 10, and 12 lb line on my PQs.

Thanks, that s all great. Now I don't suppose you have any experience with the BPS Stampede? :D