Sign in to follow this  
Goose52

BPS ProLite Finesse Baitcast Reel - Out of Stock, Discontinued, or Soon to Be Replaced?

I like the BPS ProLite reel and was thinking of getting another one and don't see them on the BPS web site. Anyone got any scoop on this reel? Maybe they clearanced it and there will be a new 2010 model?

The reel was clearanced out. I ordered one on the 27th of Nov and just received it today. I'm not sure what if anything will replace it.

You know if they were to build that reel in a 7.1 also it would be my favorite reel. They are great. Smooth as silk, very sturdy construction, very compact.

I was using it for weightless 3.5" wacky rigged senko's alot of the summer and it worked great.

I would think that the ProLite filled a niche that perhaps BPS will want to keep filling - maybe we'll see the "new and improved" 2010 model come out after the holidays...but will then have to wait until it goes on sale. :)

I would think that the ProLite filled a niche that perhaps BPS will want to keep filling - maybe we'll see the "new and improved" 2010 model come out after the holidays...but will then have to wait until it goes on sale. :)

If they are still out I might get one to trick out a bit. Maybe one of the available carbon handles for other reels will bolt on. Maybe a repaint and some bearing upgrades....

Pro Lite is still showing on their site. But......could this be a potential replacement??? Line capacity is a bit heavy though compared to the Pro Lite

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10204721_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1

I see they put the ProLite back on-line and still at a clearance price. The new CarbonLite is 6.7 oz - I would think this is the replacement for the ProLite. Unless perhaps they will come out with a narrow-spool version of the CarbonLite and take another ounce out of the reel??

Now, how long 'till the new CarbonLite goes on sale? :)

I'll be interested in reading some reviews on this one...even if it doesn't have a Powerhump !

I fished with a buddy who had several of these rods when they were still in the prototype phase.  I loved them, but he actually wanted the handle to be bigger.  Personal preference I guess.

As far as performance, they are VERY light, and I thought the action was spot on for what I like.  I was fishing a light jig on a 6'9 MH XF, and was extremely impressed.  The rod loaded & unloaded exceptionally well considering the jig was at or below the minimum lure rating.  The rod had good sensitivity, and I only caught 2 fish over 2 lbs, but it handled them well.

I was told these production rods are slightly different though.  They added a little more graphite to the butt section, and added that cross hatch on the grips.  I'm planning on picking up a couple in Jan, but doubt I'll have a chance to try them out right away.

... I'm planning on picking up a couple in Jan, but doubt I'll have a chance to try them out right away.

Thanks for the report. I might go for one and match it with the new CarbonLite reel. Of course, as will all BPS stuff, I will have to wait for the sale - perhaps they'll mark 'em down during the annual Spring sale.

That's a VERY aggressively priced reel in the Carbon Pro.

I hope they don't skimp on quality components to come in at that price.

Just when I decide to go with all Pro Qualifier reels, they come out with this. ::) Both rod and reel look like a nice deal. I will also be interested to see what the early reviews are.

Just when I decide to go with all Pro Qualifier reels, they come out with this. ::) Both rod and reel look like a nice deal. I will also be interested to see what the early reviews are.

Me too - I have three of the Pro Qualifiers and was getting ready to get some of the new low-gear ratio PQs !

Well I found out the the main gear drive shaft from the older prolite with the screw on handle, will swap into an Extreme.

I want to add a carbon handle to my ProLite that is why I originally did the swap. It makes the Extreme look much better too.

Here is a picture of the Extreme with the ProLite handle/drag star.

It upgrades the extreme to 9 bearings too as the Pro Lite has two bearings in the handle vs bushings in the handle of the Extreme.

Picture150.jpg

The bolt on handle driveshaft from the Extreme fit inside the Pro Lite perfectly. Now I can add a different drag star and handle.

I wish I wouldn't have saw the post your gear thread.....Through that I found the Tackle Tour forum, and now I got the itch to mess with all my stuff instead of leaving it good enough.

I guess you weren't kidding .... !

Well I found out the the main gear drive shaft from the older prolite with the screw on handle, will swap into an Extreme.

I want to add a carbon handle to my ProLite that is why I originally did the swap. It makes the Extreme look much better too.

Here is a picture of the Extreme with the ProLite handle/drag star.

It upgrades the extreme to 9 bearings too as the Pro Lite has two bearings in the handle vs bushings in the handle of the Extreme.

Picture150.jpg

The bolt on handle driveshaft from the Extreme fit inside the Pro Lite perfectly. Now I can add a different drag star and handle.

nice i got a supertuned extreme i ordered a handle from the pro lite with the eva knobs to put on.. yours looks good cant wait to get mine should be here Monday

Well I supertuned a Pro Lite today. WOW. I CAN'T WAIT to fish with this thing. Every aspect is smoother, including some work I've been doing recently that really smooths out the cam engagement and disengagement.

Nice and smooth everywhere.

Carbon Matrix drag washers from an Abu Garcia Ambassador swap right into the Pro Lite. The also swap into the under gear position between the main gear and the clutch kick mechanism.

The drag is MUCH, MUCH, stronger, and much smoother too. I installed them dry, but I think I'll throw a little cals grease on em' to smooth it out even more....

I installed Boca ceramic hybrids, and a carbon handle while I was at it.

I snapped some pics but they didn't turn out great in the inside lighting. I'll post a pic tomorrow but there isn't much to see really. A Pro Lite with a carbon handle. All the good stuff is inside.

:)

Good show!  Too bad you can't fish it right away. Down here in TN it's 16deg right now and we aren't going to go above freezing for the next week or so.  No fishing for me for a while.

Like I said not really much to see but this is a sweet little reel now. Still need to get a metal drag star. Probably the Revo Premier since I gotta order some stuff from them anyhow.

Picture152.jpg

Lookin' good!  Also - sent you a PM about something...