Sign in to follow this  
Brendan Duffy

Curado 200e7 Maintenance

Have you been to the Shimano website yet? There's some great info (with pictures!) there

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html

I found that cleaning the factory grease out of the spool bearings and re-lubing with a light bearing oil (Daiwa oil in my case) really got that spool to spin freely.

Have you been to the Shimano website yet? There's some great info (with pictures!) there

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html

I found that cleaning the factory grease out of the spool bearings and re-lubing with a light bearing oil (Daiwa oil in my case) really got that spool to spin freely.

Awesome thanks so much.

Yes, thanks for posting that link!  I was wondering how to clean off my 200e5 this morning.

Thank you very much for the site.

I take my reels to a professional to have maintained as they are the heart and soul of my fishing and I want them serviced properly.

At $6 a reel it is a bargain.  ;)

Can someone answer these questions from the Shimano link? Thanks a lot.

1) "Clean and oil VBS® Brake Case

and spool bearing."

How do you oil the brake case? Do I put a drop inside?

2) For the spool bearing, do I put a drop in the hole or put a drop on the bearing so it enters the metal balls? Picture looks like it's going in the hole.

3) "Lightly oil Super Free support

bearing and drive shaft bearing."

Do put a drop in the little hole and a drop outside of the gold thing? BTW, I see this on my Curado, but don't see it on my Citica 200E. Does it matter?

Can someone answer these questions from the Shimano link? Thanks a lot.

1) "Clean and oil VBS® Brake Case

and spool bearing."

How do you oil the brake case? Do I put a drop inside?

2) For the spool bearing, do I put a drop in the hole or put a drop on the bearing so it enters the metal balls? Picture looks like it's going in the hole.

3) "Lightly oil Super Free support

bearing and drive shaft bearing."

Do put a drop in the little hole and a drop outside of the gold thing? BTW, I see this on my Curado, but don't see it on my Citica 200E. Does it matter?

1) Use alcohol on a swab to clean the brake drum. After it dries, use a new oiled swab to apply a light coat to the drum surface.

2) To oil the spool bearing, put one drop on the race (groove holding the ball bearings)

3) These two bearing can be oiled the same way.

Now, to do this job right, the bearings should be removed and cleaned of any lube and dirt. Mixing lubes is never a good idea since some are incompatible with others. Reel maintenance can definitely be do-it-yourself but like previous poster said, a professional job is well worth the relative low cost.  ;)