Sign in to follow this  
Radical Conservative

Abu Garcia BCX

Hey guys..

New here. Looks like a lot of great info on here.

I'm looking for a low geared baitcaster to back my Winch and was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the BCX round reel. I've been looking at it for a while and I know Bass Pro has 'em for $60-$65 and today at walmart I saw they had it paired with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur graphite rod for $60. Don't have much use for the rod but thought it was a deal.

Anybody crank with one of these?

Garbage - unworthy of the Abu Garcia name.

Components look to be made of pot metal. They aren't smooth. I picked on up at a local tackle store and cranked it and it scraped. Thought it was a fluke and tried 5 more and they all did it.

Do yourself a favor. Save a bit more money and get a C3 or C4.

Good indicator would be it's packaged in plastic an stocked in an open aisle at wally world...

If it aint behind glass...I'll pass  ;D

Wow, purchased my 5601 (red) BCX from BPS and it came in a box. Maybe you all should stop buying your reels from Wally World..

I didn't purchase the reel for bass as I don't think it was built for that type of fishing anyway (I use it for cats). The reel out of the box was smooth, and cast what I need very well. It has a nice multi disk drag systems that holds well, 3 SS ball bearings. Granted it isn't a C3 but then I didn't want to pay the price for a C3..

The reel doesn't IMPO deserve the negative review from the group here.

How many of you here have actually fished one on the water, and, not from the store counter...

Tight Lines!!!

Wish I would have seen this sooner instead of years later.  I agree with the topic on the BCX models, they can be fun at first when they're brand new, but they are definitely NOT worthy of the Abu name.  Those are more of a "replica" of the Abu Garcia reels, and those BCX's are made in China, not Sweden like all the reels that Abu actually make.

Some components inside of it are made of both both plastic and cheap metal... the main planetary gear itself is all plastic.  I opened mine up to fix it after it broke a few months later after I bought it and saw what it was made of.  For me, the cast thumb button broke (made of plastic), so I had to keep pushing it up with my finger when I'd start reeling in the cast.  The worm also broke eventually, its gear was made of plastic broke so it stopped moving causing my line to miss feed back on the spool, I had to move it side to side with my finger as I was cranking it.  Sum it up, it's nice when it's new for the price... but it's not meant to last you.

A way to distinguish, the "Made in Sweden" is not stamped on the side like all the other round reels, it didn't have the Abu's code of honor emblem on the side like they always do to every round reel that they make.  Instead it just said "Abu Garcia".

I'm not sure why Abu let china make a knock off reel of their own.  Even until this day, whether I'm at Bass Pro, Cabela's, or any store,  I absolutely HATE seeing those Red Round Reels... I keep thinking of that knock off BCX.  Honestly, they should of called it something else, not Abu Garcia... but hey, I guess they made money fooling people and selling the cheap product.  That reel itself is the reason why I stopped my collection of Abu Garcia reels, I started buying Shimano and kept with that.

For the record, I kept my BCX, still have it, but I went on Ebay and little by little replaced all the plastic parts that came with the BCX with the real Abu Garcia parts used in other reels - it works now.  However, I have it in back of my truck's tool box just as a back up reel if I ever need it.