Sign in to follow this  
Jacob0434

What kinda of rod would be Ideal for Throwing Chatter Type Baits?

I have just a genreral question about throwing chatter type baits. Do I want to use a rod with a slower tip like a crankbait rod, or would just a standard MH casting rod with a fast action be better? I'm interested in trying them out and don't know anyone around me that has used them before.

Thanks,

Jacob

I use spinnerbait rods.  I think a crank rod would be a little too tippy.  When you get bit on a chatterbait, you don't have much time to set the hook.

I like the All Star 6'8" Zell Rowland spinner bait rod.  TAS 806C

I've thrown them on my worm rod..lol A 7'mf Rick Clunn bc..also have thrown them on my Shimano calcutta 7'6" mxf...that rod is rated 1/2-1oz 10-20lb test..lol  It actually has some great feel to it, being that I use braid on it.

I've experimented with several different set-ups.

The best performing for me has been a 6'9" heavy action rod and 30 lb braid. Now, keep in mind that alomost 90% of the time I'm fishing the bait around cover, sometimes heavy.

The chatter style baits are a jig, most have a heavy hook, I fish them that way  :).

This may sound like a weird choice but, one day I was out shore fishing and I had brought only one setup with me.  Its was a Faclon Bucco with a fuego reel.  So I decided to tie on a chatter and wouldnt you know it, that setup handled the bait like a dream.  The rod was a 7ft MH.  Good luck

That for all the replies.  I found a commuity pond that isn't quite frozen and took a chatterbait and my 7ft ST Croix glass crankin rod and my 7 ft mh HMG to experiment.  I think I'll be just fine using my HMG.  Once again thanks for your help everyone :)