Sign in to follow this  
team788

Help me choose a rod

I am looking to buy a new rod and reel (as mine recently broke) and have been trying to gather information.  This forum has been a great help.  I am recreational lake fisherman (twice a week or so during the season).  However, a buddy of mine recently got a boat so I hope to be fishing more.  I have only ever used spinning equipment and I think I would rather avoid switching to baitcast for the time being.  What spinning rod would be a good all purpose rod that I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade in year and would complement other setups down the road?  I have around $400 to spend and am considering the Stradic CI4.  Would medium or medium heavy be a better fit?  Likewise fast or extra fast?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome.

Good choice for the reel.

7 ' , MH , FAST ACTION ROD is a good all purpose rod.

Thre are many great rods in the 200.00 price range that would make you a good outfit.

If you know you want the ci4 you might as well go ahead and get the one in the flea market for 190 brand new. You're going to have a hard time finding places with them in stock, plus you can save a few dollars!

I have been looking at rods keep coming back to two.  Shimano cumara and Powell.  How do these rods compare?  As a novice would I notice any difference between these rods as there is an $80 price difference.  From what I am reading people seem to be split between medium and medium heavy for an all purpose rod.

If you know you want the ci4 you might as well go ahead and get the one in the flea market for 190 brand new. You're going to have a hard time finding places with them in stock, plus you can save a few dollars!

He'll want a larger reel than a 1000.

Take a look at the Powell 683 or 684. I've never used

a MH spinning rod before, but the 683 MEF is a great rod. I use spinning gear for shakey heads, small jigs with grubs, and wacky worms. Another good rod to look at is St. Croix Avid series.

i get a st croix avid or g-loomis imx with the change.

id go with the CI4 or the stradic FI (on sale) in 2500 size.

id get a medium action 6'6"-7" rod. MH if you are using heavier baits or fishing alot of cover.

XF for jigs,softplastics

F for anything

MF for crankbaits

He'll want a larger reel than a 1000.

Oh I didn't even realize it was a 1000. Good call!

I have a 2500 CI4 paired with a 7'M Damiki Dark Angel and really like them together.  It's light, sensitive, balances well, and looks really good with the Stradic.   

Thanks for all the input.  I was able to get my hands on a Dobyns Champion 683 and liked the feel of it.  So I think it is between that and the Cumara.