Sign in to follow this  
zero limit

fuego, citica??

Looking for some input, im new to baitcasting

1) I have a new fuego and used citica dsv100(like new) which of these is more of a crank bait reel the other maybe a spinnerbait reel, or finesse

2) of the two which will be eaiser to learn with?

spent last summer in back yard playing with an old b/c combo so i kind of got the idea of how to use a b/c

Thanks

Dennis

Can't tell you about which one would be better for a CB reel, but the Citica should be very easy to learn with. Set the Centrifugal brakes to have 3 brakes off and 3 brakes on in an alternating fashion and you will be ready to learn.

Also, do not use anything less than 1/2 oz for learning.

I would love to try a fuego some day, just to see the difference between magnetic and centrifugal brakes for myself, but I taught two people who never casted a bc reel in their lives who didn't birdsnest after I taught them during a 4 hour fishing trip. This doesn't speak to my skill to teach, but rather to the ease of learning the Shimano Centrifugal brake system.  It can make an angler lazy.  ;D

Assuming that the reel is properly set to the lure's weight and there is no super strong wind around, the only way you can backlash from a cast in which the lure's weight properly loads the rod is when you don't stop the spool from spinning when the lure hits an object.  So this is the first key I teach beginners:

No matter what happens, you (you're thumb) must stop the spool from spinning BEFORE the lure hits an object, be it the water's surface, a shrub, or the darn tootin' ground in front of you because you let get to late.  ;D Failure to stop the spool from spinning will increases the potential for a birdsnest.

In addition, it doesn't matter how you stop the spool from spinning... Feather it to a stop, or stop it dead cold. Just stop the spool from spinning and most of the potential for a backlash is greatly reduced.  :D

Use the Fuego for spinnerbaits and I guess if you can match it up with the right rod, finesse. I would recommend the Citica for cranking, but I like the braking system on Daiwas much better, so imo you should learn on the Fuego. Just practice a lot and you will be surprised how fast you learn.

I have both. The Citica 100DSV will be easier in my opinion to start out with. The Fuego is one heckava reel, but it requires a little more "thumb training". After you get used to them both, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Check the inches-per-turn (ipt) retrieve rate. I have a Fuego and it draws 28ipt -my SB reel. My cranking reel is an old Shimano at ~23ipt.