Sign in to follow this  
JFaro1

Shimano Scorpion Quickfire (Castaic 200SF)

hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a NIB Scorpion Quickfire (newer maroon version). i have a few concerns...first off, the one negative Ive seen with these JDM reels is the lack of drag. Does anyone know the drag power of the Quickfire? I'm assuming it's got to be better than the Scorpion 1000Mg because, after all, it's a flipping reel. Secondly, i believe this reel comes with an 42mm handle with larger power knobs. Does anyone know what size the JDM handle is on a Scorpion 1000Mg because if its the same size, it's gonna be WAY too small for my liking. Lastly, is $140 shipped a decent price for this reel NIB? Thanks!!! Any other info is appreciated as well!

Jay

The scorpion quickfire is the JDM version of the Castaic SF.  It has the same drag system as the US Castaic.  It is an 84mm handle and has the larger paddle knobs for comfort.  Not quite sure why, but often times they quote JDM models at half the handle length - a 42mm handle would be pretty funny!  I'm fairly certain that the handle length on the Scorpion 1000MG is 80mm, the same as the US Chronarch 50mg. 

Regarding the price, that is ultimately up to you.  If I had a choice between that reel and a "like new" Curado E7 for flipping/pitching, I'd go with the Curado myself.  The Castaic does have the "flipping switch" but that doesn't do anything special for me personally.

Bronze,

Thanks for the input. Actually, the Scorpion 1000Mg has a smaller handle than the Chronarch 50Mg. I know because i just had to buy a 50Mg handle to replace the tiny little one on the Scorp. The E7 might be another way to go...to be honest,i rarely flip and already have a Castaic 200SF so not sure why i really need another (Plus am currently selling an older 200!). i think its the Scorpion name...im a sucker for JDM reels!

jay

Bronze,

Thanks for the input. Actually, the Scorpion 1000Mg has a smaller handle than the Chronarch 50Mg. I know because i just had to buy a 50Mg handle to replace the tiny little one on the Scorp. The E7 might be another way to go...to be honest,i rarely flip and already have a Castaic 200SF so not sure why i really need another (Plus am currently selling an older 200!). i think its the Scorpion name...im a sucker for JDM reels!

jay

Thanks for the info!  I had a Scorpion 1000MG for a brief period and couldn't remember the exact handle length.  They often put shorter handles on the JDM versions for some reason.  I'm a big fan of some JDM reels myself, but I don't know about this one - especially since you already have the Castaic and don't flip very often.  I just found the castaic to be a very one dimensional reel - that switch just seems to get in the way when not flipping/pitching, and it's a fairly large reel as well.  I think i'd give some serious thought to something more versatile with my $140... but that's just me.  Good luck and enjoy it either way you go!

Bronze,

Thanks again. I decided to take my older Castaic off the market. I dont do enough flipping to justify spending a bunch of extra money to upgrade to the Scorpion Quickfire, especially with with my wife being 5 months pregnant. These 2 Castaics will do their job fine! Thanks again! take care,

Jay

Bronze,

Thanks again. I decided to take my older Castaic off the market. I dont do enough flipping to justify spending a bunch of extra money to upgrade to the Scorpion Quickfire, especially with with my wife being 5 months pregnant. These 2 Castaics will do their job fine! Thanks again! take care,

Jay

No problem Jay!  Congratulations on the little one on the way, that's outstanding :)

Scorpion 1000/1001, Mg ---> 70 mm handle length

Chronarch 50 Mg ---> 80 mm handle length.

The handle length is measured from center of the knob screw/rivet to the next, not from knob to knob.

I use both the Castaic and Quickfire in the left hand model. I would have all Quickfires if I could.