Sign in to follow this  
opie

Line test for jigs?

I am trying to learn to fish jigs, and I have 12 lb seagar abrazx on my reel. When I see the thick hooks that are on my jigs, I wonder if 12 is enough. Am I going to be able to drive that hook home with 12, or do I need to move up to 15? Does a half ounce or 3/4 oz. jig differ from a 3/8 oz. in this respect?

I was fishing a 1/2 oz with a big trailer yesterday in chocolate milk, and I definitely felt under powered, but I never got a bite to test out my theory. I was using a 733 dobyns and a MH Zillion for rods.

Thanks

I like 15# Triple Fish perlon for fishing jigs, plastics and spinnerbaits.  I think the diameter on it is the same as PLine CXXtra stong 12#, not sure what the Seaguar is.  I have never broke off the 15# on a bass, although a 4 1/2' gar did break me off with a spinnerbait.

Not familiar with either of those rods, but from what I have read about the Zillion rods it should be closer to everyone else's H power.  When I first started using jigs regularly I wanted a really stiff rod to fish them, but I have since got more comfortable fishing a jig and want a little tip

I would say 15lb or more Fluoro and 30lb or more braid.  I am spooled with 17lb Bass Pro XPS Fluro on my jig rod (Dobyns 704C).  I am eventually going to try 20lb Invizix.  I like 50lb moss green PowerPro for braid.  I throw 3/8oz jigs 90% of the time.

I've been using Seaguar Carbon Pro in 15lb Test the last year and thus far I like it for fishing football jigs and large soft plastics.

For jigs in the Delta I use 65lb Braid / 25lb P-Line CXX Leader.

For jigs in lakes I use 15-17lb Fluorocarbon, or 50lb braid with a 15-17lb fluoro leader.

I definitely think 12lb is too little for any type of jig fish.

I think it depends on where you are from....

My jig rod has had 14lb mono, and 15lb flouro on it.

I'm dropping down to 10 or 12lb Y/Z Hybrid this season.

The smaller diameter IMO, can only contribute to a more natural action, and less line visibility. Plus the Y/Z has a high break strength.

You will be alright with 12lb floro if your fishing light to little cover say in open water situations dragging a light football or spider jig. But anything else atleast 17lb floro. This year I have been trying braid with leaders and the sensitivity is way better. I am gonna give it a full season before I make the decision to keep fishing it or not.