Sign in to follow this  
TJHfishin

berkely amp rods any reviews or personal experience with them

i was thinking about getting a 7 foot medium spinning rod for shakey head and small cranks and worms if any has used them how is the sensitivity i want a sensitive rod but dont have the money for a high end rod thank you guys

For the price they are pretty good rods for small to medium cranks. Sensitivity is decent with braid and haven't tried any other types of line with the rod. They are better suited for Treble hook lures at least in the model you are talking about.

I have not used one. But I have looked at them on the rack. They are snazzy to look at, but overbuilt (heavy) due to low end, low modulus material. They are low end rods offering a snazzy split-grip. My guess it they are pretty durable.

If you want maximum durability buy an UglyStick or other composite. If you want sensitivity, esp in longer lengths, you'll need to move up the modulus chart, and you tend to pay for that. For jig-worming you'll want as much sensitivity as you can afford. Save your pennies -it's worth it for that kind of fishing.

Some good lower priced options: Shimano Clarus ($70), BPS Carbonlite ($100) are esp light, crisp, sensitive rods. Others will have suggestions too. Another option is to look at the clearance racks. Never know what might turn up there.

x2 on the carbonlite.  Not sure if they are still on sale or not but BPS had them all marked $20 off last week.

If you are looking at $100 Carbonlites then the Shimano Compre should be on the list too.  $100 is a bargain for a rod of this caliber.  $70 for a Shimano Clarus is really good too.  For less than this............I'll get back to you on that. 

Also bargain racks can be good places to shop as well.  I once found 2 Quantum Tour rods on sale for $60 each.  That was HARD to pass up considering money was tight.  I needed 2 rods that day, but held out against my gut instinct to just buy them both, and ended up with 2 Compres instead.  I don't regret it though.  Best rods I've ever owned EASILY. 

Nice, sensitive, verrry affordable rod= St. Croix Triumph.

x2

Same blank as the Mojo and Premier, but only $70. It's lacking the "lifetime" warranty of the Shimanos in that price range, but after dealing with the Atlanta BPS over the warranty on my Crucial this past weekend, I know I won't be buying any more Shimano rods. According to them, the lifetime warranty is now a 1 yr over the counter replacement. After that, it has to be shipped back to Shimano on your dime. To me, the over the counter replacement was the best part of buying a Shimano rod. Without that, they're no better than any of the other rods in their respective price ranges.

I'm sticking with St. Croix from now on. :)

As far as I know they've never been over the counter replacements. A year ago when I got my first one the dealer explained to me that you take them back to the store and get an immediate exchange but you pay $15 for "them" to ship it back for you. Saves you waiting on a new one and shipping it back yourself. Somebody has to eat shipping there and dealers wouldn't want to do that repeatedly by paying out of their own pockets for shipping so people can bring rods back they abused and get unlimited free replacements (I'm not saying you abused yours, but a lot of people do this and that would be very costly for dealers if it were a no strings attached warranty). I don't know of any other manufacturer that will let you exchange high dollar rods for $15. After a year you're generally on your own with all other manufacturers, save a very few.

BPS had been doing an over the counter replacement for quite a while. It's one the main reasons I chose the Crucial over the Avid, since the Atlanta BPS is about 15 miles from my house.

My issue with the Crucial wasn't due to damage or breakage. It had a void in the cork that had started to collapse, leaving a hole in the grip. It's a material defect, but not necessarily Shimano's fault. The runaround I got at BPS wasn't Shimano's fault either, but when taking care of warranty issues through a vendor becomes a hassle I'll take my business elsewhere.

Sorry, didn't know BPS did that since I don't live near one.  3 1/2 hour drive for me to get to one.  Local dealers here are where I get my Shimanos at.  I also bought one that had a void in the cork that was filled with another piece of cork glued in place.  Not very attractive I have to say, but it doesn't bother me now that I'm used to it.  So far this has not came out but if it does I'll deal with that then.  I didn't notice it at purchase or I would have gotten a different one. 

While I like the feel of Shimano rods better than St Croix, I do have to say I've NEVER seen another rod that had as nice of a cork handle as what those do.  Even just looking at the Triumph at Dick's Sporting Goods I noticed the handles are completely flawless in design and materials.  Cork feels especially soft and comfortable. 

Nice, sensitive, verrry affordable rod= St. Croix Triumph.

x2

Same blank as the Mojo and Premier, but only $70. It's lacking the "lifetime" warranty of the Shimanos in that price range, but after dealing with the Atlanta BPS over the warranty on my Crucial this past weekend, I know I won't be buying any more Shimano rods. According to them, the lifetime warranty is now a 1 yr over the counter replacement. After that, it has to be shipped back to Shimano on your dime. To me, the over the counter replacement was the best part of buying a Shimano rod. Without that, they're no better than any of the other rods in their respective price ranges.

I'm sticking with St. Croix from now on. :)

St Croix Triumphs are great rods.  I have 3.  The Carbonlite I just got blows them out of the water on sensitivity and weight.  I will be replacing all of the Triumphs soon with the carbons.  The 6'6" versions run $89.