Sign in to follow this  
-nick-

help on new dobyns combo

I'm wanting to go ahead and get my next champion extreme but am unsure which I should get. I will be using it mostly for jigs, but during the summer I tend to throw very few jigs and more texas rigs. I have a texas rig set up, but would rather use the dx and be able to double it up since when it warms up I don't throw jigs much anyways, so I'd hate to spend that much on a rod that wouldn't see much use except when it's cold.

I think the DX744C would be perfect, but I know how some rods say they can handle lower weights but really can't. I like throwing 1/8-1/4 bullet weights on my t-rigs could this rod handle that? Should I go for the 704 instead? I mean I'll probably use it for c-rigs too. I'm thinking I'm going to get the Curado E7 to go on it, would this reel pair nicely on the rod and be good for these applications? Thanks guys!

What weight jigs and C-Rigs do you plan to fish with?

I usually throw 1/2-3/4 C-rigs and jigs will go from 1/4-1/2.

Another question. I'll be getting it from basstackledepot with the 20% off they're doing and was thinking I'd order the Curado with it, but I have been wanting to replace my 6'6" black max combo that I use for jerkbaits (husky jerks, pointers) and spinnerbaits with a dobyns savvy series so should I go ahead and get this rod and just wait on the reel? The reel is 140 with the 20% off but I figured I see them for sale online for this much or less all the time. I only have about 500 dollars to spend.

I'm wanting to go ahead and get my next champion extreme but am unsure which I should get. I will be using it mostly for jigs, but during the summer I tend to throw very few jigs and more texas rigs. I have a texas rig set up, but would rather use the dx and be able to double it up since when it warms up I don't throw jigs much anyways, so I'd hate to spend that much on a rod that wouldn't see much use except when it's cold.

I think the DX744C would be perfect, but I know how some rods say they can handle lower weights but really can't. I like throwing 1/8-1/4 bullet weights on my t-rigs could this rod handle that? Should I go for the 704 instead? I mean I'll probably use it for c-rigs too. I'm thinking I'm going to get the Curado E7 to go on it, would this reel pair nicely on the rod and be good for these applications? Thanks guys!

Keep in mind depending on what bait you are throwing, that can add a decent amount of weight. A Full size brush hog plus a 1/4oz weight should put you around a 1/2oz.

For t-rigs as light as 1/8oz and lighter plastics maybe a baby brush hog, I would tend to lean toward the 743. BUT, given the fact you want to throw jigs as well, The 744 will do the trick. I have thrown 1/4oz Trig 7" worms with the 734 with no problem at all.

I think the 744 will do the trick. Have you looked at the champion series? I've got a lot of em and have been told the extreme is just slightly more sensitive. Anyway, i say get your two rods right now while the sale is going on and buy your reels off of the fishing boards. You can buy curados all day for 140 and sometimes cheaper.

I think the 744 will do the trick. Have you looked at the champion series? I've got a lot of em and have been told the extreme is just slightly more sensitive. Anyway, i say get your two rods right now while the sale is going on and buy your reels off of the fishing boards. You can buy curados all day for 140 and sometimes cheaper.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about the reels. But yeah the regular Champion was what I was originally going to get but then decided if I'm going to be spending that much anyways might as well just go ahead and get the best.

Ended up getting the dx744c for jigs/heavier trigs/crigs and a ss663c for spinners/jerkbaits! Can't wait for them to get here now.