Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

Braid/Carolina Rigs

Eventually I will probably get 65lb PP for my flippin' stick. Does anyone use carolina rigs with bradied lines?

Yeah.. I use braid also with a flouro leader..two reasons-sensitivity and if you get hung up and brake off, you don't loose anything but your leader and your hook.

i do. and i love it.

i dont seem to have the problem around rocks others have.  i fish braid on oyster bars for reds.  freshwater rocks are like glass marbles compared to that. true.. though i guess... i dont fish ON the oyster bars... just over and around them.... hmmmm.....

A trick shown to me many years ago when Carolina rigging in rocks is to put a 1/4" piece of rubber hose on the line before the sinker. The hose protects the line at the sinker and it reduces hangups. The hose type was the gasoline type.

something i've been starting to do is use a 2-part leader for c-rigging with braid.  20lb braid to 1-2' of 20lb yo-zuri hybrid to swivel to 10lb leader.  that way the 20lb hybrid can do abrasion resistance duties but not mess with the sensitivity.

As others mentioned I would not do it around rocky areas. In or around weedy areas I would say it is a no brain-er. Less stretch so you get a better hookset, greater sensitivity so less gut-hooked/dead fish, and you can winch them out without worrying.

Well, I would use braid, and a leader for a ds in rocks.. the leader would be at least 6'... :)

I'm loving the 55# diawa samuri braid...stuff cast's so easy...sux when the wind licks up though.. ;D