Sign in to follow this  
little_stephen

multi-species leader question

so im not familiar with using leaders. but the new lake i live on, and will be geting familiar with in the spring is chalk full of bass, and pike.

Ive been warned that theyll thrash my bass lures. I use ALOT of braid and people are telling me that Im supposed to use a leader to keep from losing my bass lures to the pike!?

I think i have a few wire leaders in the bottom of my tackle box in a cigar tube, but i dont know how to really apply them!

And my biggest concern is if theyre going to effect my bass fishing!?   Im not as concerned about the briad presentations being effected, but i am concerned about it when i fish my topwaters, or other baits on mono or floro!

Help! ;)

oh. i forgot!

What im trying to get answers to are:

-What type of leader?

-How Long?

-What Knot to tie on to connect it to my line?

-& how is it going to effect my presentations, and feel?

Growing up in SD with the Northern Pike, if we knew they were active or had the chance of taking the lure, we would use a 30lb flexible metal leader, usually something like this, around 6-12" ahead of the lure.

aea1_1.JPG

Otherwise using a quality 20 lb flouro leader can help too, just keep an eye out for nicks and abrasions.

Some people just say to not worry about it and if a pike latches on, just snip a little line off and retie each time.

That's never an easy question to answer, as the answer hinges on personal choice.

I personally am a target angler, and any bycatch (no matter how large) is taken as an insult.

Consequently, my leader material is chosen according to the quarry.

When bass fishing, I try to avoid pike-infested sites to minimize cutoffs,

and you'll find that most holding sites are dominated by one predator or the other.

I know of several trophy pike anglers who successfully use fluorocarbon leaders,

but I've personally had too many bad experiences with non-metallic leaders

(usually on the best pike of the trip). As it happens, trophy pike can be landed

on 12-lb nylon monofilament if one of two things takes place:

1) The line stays nested between two teeth, which act like two ivory guides

2) The line is outside the pike's mouth during the fight, and out of harm's way.

When I'm targeting northern pike I always use metal leader, "Titanium" to be exact.

Titanium is soft, knottable, highly kink-resistant and inconspicuous.

Roger

Thanks. I think Im gunna try floro first. Ive got some highstrength PLine somewhere around here i found at the flee market.........thing is, im gunna hold off on a big decision until ive seen/landed a pike or two or three from the lake. its small, really small (the lake) so ive got a feeling they arent gunna be huge...... so well see.....

Hammerhandles or Snot rockets (small, skinny pike)are the worst for bite offs.  If that's what you think is in your lake, I'd start looking at leaders.

Thanks. I think Im gunna try floro first. Ive got some highstrength PLine somewhere around here i found at the flee market.........thing is, im gunna hold off on a big decision until ive seen/landed a pike or two or three from the lake. its small, really small (the lake) so ive got a feeling they arent gunna be huge...... so well see.....

Do what Rolo suggests and you won't loose any baits to the pike. Sometimes it is wise to spend a little more.