Sign in to follow this  
NorcalBassin

Spinning Reel Delimma: Sahara, Supreme, or Soron STX?

UPS just dropped off my new All Star Premium Spinning rod from Tackle Warehouse (arrived in less than 24 hours!) and now I need to put a reel on it. I had been planning to get a Shimano Sahara ($79) but I'm also open to trading in a reel at BPS this weekend to pick up a Pflueger Supreme ($85 after $15 off) or Abu Soron STX ($105 after $25 off). Any recommendations? Thanks.

I have about 6 Saharas. I have never had an issue with them. When I bought most of mine, I got them for $59 each, but this was about two years ago. I think they are a great value at that price.  In the $100 range, you might also look at the Shimano Symetre.

I cannot speak to the others.

I just bought a Soron STX last week at Gander Mountain. I ran into an in-store special and got it for $79. They normally sell for $129. Haven't had a chance to use it because we still have HARD water here in Wisconsin. The Shimano Symetre is on sale at Cabelas' for $79, but I think they're last years model. Still an awesome reel for the money. I've had one for about 3 years.

There is another thread regarding cardinals ( Soron is same as an 800). I own 3 supremes 2 for fresh and 1 for salt, Cardinal 802 which I moved to freshwater and a Soron 40 for salt............IMO the 800 cardinals are a step up over the supremes, in this price range the Shimanos fall short. All of the reels will work fine, it's the rod that makes the real difference.

Side bar:  I removed the handle from my Cardinal 802 and replaced it with the larger handle from the 804, fits perfect and is a great upgrade for 10 bucks.

I have the Sahara 1000 and it is a great reel and it's the newer model. I haven't had one problem with it after 1 season of use for mostly small spinner baits. It's a very smooth reel and at the price point its a great value.

Good Luck with your choice