Sign in to follow this  
jhow2319

Texas Rig Setup?

I'll be at the bass pro sale this weekend and I'm in the market for a pure texas rig setup. The problem is that I'm not sure what length rod and gear ratio I should be looking at? 6'9 MH? Also, I'm looking at a combo of about $130 if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys give me.

bps extreme 6'10" is on sale right now for $69 great rod for the money very sensitive and very tough.  reel is like ford-n-chevy so make a choice.  i suggest 7.1.1 to really winch them out. :D

It must be a 6' 8.125" rod, with specific deflection of 12"at 6 oz.. Gear ratio should be 23.785 inches per turn. Line diameter should be .012".

:D

Seriously, any reel that takes up 27 or more inches per turn (around 6:1) and a MH/F rod 6'6" to 7' will work fine. I'd use 12# CXX, but there are many line choices out there.

The main thing: put the reel on the rod and see how it feels. Get the most comfortable rig.

You would want a 6'6-7' mh fast action rod.  I have 2 dedicated t-rigged rods 1 a 7' mh fast action, the other a 7'1" mh fast action.  Both have 7:1 ratio reels on them so I can pick up line fast.  I have 12# fluorcarbon on both.  Also have a 7'1" heavy fast action that I use for flipping. 

I agree with the previous posts; 6'6" to 7' MH/F. I'm just now getting into the new extra-fast specialty rods but so far they are great for specific applications. Don't make yourself feel like you've got to have the super-long rod for hooksets, pitching advantages, etc...I'm 5'10" and I prefer a sub-7' rod for ergonomics.

Seriously, any reel that takes up 27 or more inches per turn (around 6:1) and a MH/F rod 6'6" to 7' will work fine. I'd use 12# CXX, but there are many line choices out there.

The main thing: put the reel on the rod and see how it feels. Get the most comfortable rig.

Best advice I've heard given in a long time. :D

Pretty good advice, but it's the 6' 8.125" rod that makes the best "Texas Rig Setup". ;)

Stupid metric conversions!!!! :D

I like a 7' H.  Should be fast action for quick hookset.  A fast reel speed is ideal so you can take up line fast and get a good hookset. I use #12-17 fluorocarbon for sensitivity

I've got two dedicated rods for T-rigs/jigs rods.

Both are MH Fast and are 6'6".

For reels I'm running Burners on both, 7:1, really helps to pick up slack line quick.