Sign in to follow this  
vicdotcom

How quiet is your Stradic?

Hey all, quick question for Stradic owners if you have a moment.

I just purchased a Stradic mgfb 3000. When I came home to and put it on my rod, I noticed that it makes a pretty bad 'whooshing' noise.  It kind of sounds like bearings that dont have oil or metal brushing on plastic or something.

I didnt hear it to bad at the store but it was prettt loud in there.  But I sure hear it now.  Everything looks properly lubricated.

I do plan on exchanging it tomorrow, but I wanted to see if others are silent or not.

Thanks all!

My sons been using one for about 4 years now for freshwater bass and large stripers, never heard a peep out of it.

After 2 years of saltwater use mine is till whisper quiet and smooth and oiled only twice.  Return it, you gotta a lemon.

That's what I thought guys. After reading so much about these reels.  It felt smooth but I am kicking myself for not hearing it at the store. 

Appreciate it guys!

You're probably just hearing the rotor spinning.  My FI's and FH's both make a whirring sound when turning the handle.

You're probably just hearing the rotor spinning.  My FI's and FH's both make a whirring sound when turning the handle.

I agree with burleytog 100%.

I service tons of Stradic's and the only thing you can hear is the swishing sound of the bail wire and bail arms as the rotor is turning.

The sound of bearings that are going bad/bad have a very distinct metallic grinding sound...

I would register (1 yr warranty) and use the reel (break it in), and, if the sound gets worse or the reel fails it is under warranty send it into the factory then.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

You're probably just hearing the rotor spinning. My FI's and FH's both make a whirring sound when turning the handle.

I agree with burleytog 100%.

I service tons of Stradic's and the only thing you can hear is the swishing sound of the bail wire and bail arms as the rotor is turning.

Thanks guys for the input.  But it is certainly not the rotor or the whirling of the rotor/bail.  I know because I took off the rotor. I thought it was that also at first. The noise was just as bad. I had it to where the bearing housing was visibile but the "whoosing/scratchy" noise is coming from under the bearings near the center from the rotating shaft. 

It also seems to get louder when I have it on a left hand retrieve and not as lound when I switch it to right hand retrieve again.

It all seemed properly lubricated also.

Any other ideas of what it could be?

Thanks all!

You're probably just hearing the rotor spinning. My FI's and FH's both make a whirring sound when turning the handle.

X2,  I have 3 them and i hear it on all of them....Never had any problems them (besides the sticky bail),  great reels

Thanks guys again for all the help. Exchanged it at the store and the guy said he never heard that noise from a stradic before.  New one is MUCH more quiet with just the sweet rotor whirl :)

Much happier now.