Sign in to follow this  
mikesjet

Abu Silver Max reel

I figured that this is as good a place any to post this. 

I would love to tear my reel apart and clean and lube it but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the covers off.  I bought this reel used without paperwork so I don't have a schematic either.  I looked at all the schematics on their website and it isn't listed.  Just a quick "how to" is all I need.

Thank you in advance

Mike

Don't exactly know what you mean by "covers", but begin w/ the sideplate w/ the mag brake. First, unscrew the bar holding this sideplate on, it is located on the handle side, on top of the reel, near the level wind. Next, twist the sideplate counterclockwise maybe a 1/4 turn and it will come off. You can now also take out the spool. The other "cover" which I'm assuming is the handle-side sideplate is removed by first removing the spool tension knob, the handle assembly and fours screws: three on the sideplate and one inside the spool cavity that you have to access via the hole you made by removing the mag brake sideplate.

I must caution you about tearing into a reel without a schematic, especially if you're not all that familiar with it. Is it just the palm side giving you problems?

Thanks for the info.  That is exactly what I wanted to know.  I wasn't sure if the Mag side was a twist off.  That helps a heck of alot.  I could see that there were screws that I couldn't get to and I new everything had to start on that side just couldn't figure out how to get that cover off.  I feel stupid now, all of my other reels the sides twist off, duh! 

All I was hoping to do was a quick clean and re lube.   I know it isn't a high end reel by any stretch of the imagination, just figured it should cast better than it does.  As I said earlier I bought it used for a very low price and used it for a year as is.