Sign in to follow this  
J. M. Richardson

Abu Garcia Black Max improvement tips

Hey all,

I have a an Abu Garcia Black max baitcaster and was wondering what kind of line works best on this reel and also if there is anything I can do to improve it's performance.

I was considering modifying mine by throwing it in the trash...I don't like mine at all. I think I might give the Super Tuning a chance to see if I can make a decent reel out of the Crap Max.

I don't really care for the Black Max either, it was my first baitcaster and came with a free Cabelas IM6 rod. I will try the tuning, but if that doesn't work, I want to buy to a Shimano Citica, heard nothing bad about these.

I assume we're talking about the round Black Max baitcaster.  If so:  First, make sure the spool bearings are good. 3x10x4mm ABEC7 replacements are cheap. Oil them with a good oil like Rocket Fuel or Reel Butter Bearing oil. Second, clean the centrifugal brake drum then oil it lightly with bearing oil and install 2 black or one white brake block. Back off the cast control knob until there is just a hint of left-right side play on the spool. There should be almost no cast control except for slight pressure exerted by the brass wavy washer under the right side spool bearing (make sure there's one in there!). Forget about all the "push the button, drop a lure and adjust until it drops slowly" stuff that is necessary to set up most baitcasters. Set A Black Max up as above and it will cast a variety of weights all day without backlashing and without further adjustment. And I say that as a true champion backlasher ;D IMO the Black Max works best with 8 to 12 lb mono or fluoro lines. They cast great with 10 lb copolymer like Izor XXX. Don't over or underfill the spool because the line level is an integral part of the antibacklash design. You can use 20 lb mono if you are pitching jigs or making short casts, but these reels really shine with light lines, especially if you want to wing'em out there. Because of the wire line guide on the Max reels, I don't feel they work very well with braids. JMHO

Kind of like supertuning a Yugo. ;D

I don't really care for the Black Max either, it was my first baitcaster and came with a free Cabelas IM6 rod. I will try the tuning, but if that doesn't work, I want to buy to a Shimano Citica, heard nothing bad about these.

I got a Citica and love it...The Black Max is trash

And BigRickRolled...where did you get a picture of my Yugo? Here's my other one.

post-25552-130162928223_thumb.jpg

I assume we're talking about the round Black Max baitcaster.

This keeps coming up lately. I'm guessing that he's refering to the newer, low profile Black Max. The old round one is a nice reel worth  trying to work on. From what I've heard, the new ones are not.

They're some sort of plastic/composite reel.  Not sure what you can do to improve them.  I used a couple Silver Max's for a few trips just to try out those plastic reels.  They cast a country mile.  Unfortunately 2 of the 3 I used (these were New btw) seemed to have problems at reel engagement with unusual noises when reeling back in.  I guess the tolerances on alignments were very "loose".  I'm really wondering if you could get a couple seasons out of any of them if they were fished really hard. 

BobP wrote on Today at 2:39pm:

I assume we're talking about the round Black Max baitcaster.

This keeps coming up lately. I'm guessing that he's refering to the newer, low profile Black Max. The old round one is a nice reel worth  trying to work on. From what I've heard, the new ones are not.

Yeah the old Black Max were great reels and it is too bad that they ruined it's good name by putting it on the econo version of the revo.