Sign in to follow this  
Carrot_Stix

ROD FOR JIGS AND TOPWATER FROG ?????

I am low on money and can not afford to get a rod and reel for both techniques.

Can I get by with one rod and reel with 50 - 80 LB braid for both Jigs and topwater frog ???

If I can.....the choices I was looking at are:

1) 7' extra heavy fast action

2) 7' 6" heavy fast action

Which one of those rods would fit my situation more? Are there any setbacks/sacrifices with having a rod and reel for 2 techniques? Any tips? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Chue

both rods would fine choices.. you definitely can get by with 1 rod for both those techniques.. if you flip a lot, obviously go with the 7'6.. even if you dont flip a lot, you might want to go with the 7'6.. im assuming you're talking about spro type frogs and not the rage tail frogs

The topwater frogs I would be throwing are the hollow bodied ones with silicone strands as legs. Spro, Sumo, Snag proof etc.

I would also like to throw plastic topwater frogs too like a zoom horny toad.

These are my choices.

I'd go with a Dobyns 735 Savvy Series with 65lb Braid (Tie a leader up with 15lb fluoro or something when you fish the jig).

If you fish heavier cover and want something to power those fish out, the Dobyns 766 will work for both.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0078408125281a&navCount=1&podId=0078408&parentId=cat20372&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20372_TGP&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20372&hasJS=true

I just got the Quantum Alliance and let me tell you for that price its a STEAL!

Your getting a rod that compares and IMO feels better that the Skeet Reese and the Vendetta (around the same price range)

if you still fish with Carrot Stix , the 7' XH is an excellent double duty rod . it is a great frog rod with a 7.1:1 reel . it will also do great with jigs from 3/8 - 1 oz. , these rods got good backbone , was using it yesterday and caught 2 catfish on them in 40-50 ft. of water ( 1 was 4.5 lbs., the other a little over 5 lbs.) and it hauled them up easily  ;)

I have a powell 735 that works well for both. But the dobyns 735 or 736 would be good choices as well...

I have a powell 735 that works well for both. But the dobyns 735 or 736 would be good choices as well...

X2 on the Powell 735.