Sign in to follow this  
jettech

Spinning set up vs Baitcast set up.

Hey y'all.. I hope your weekend is going well. As a newbie I am finding my self deficient in Rods and reels. ;) I' m trying to figure out my next purchase. I have at present a Zebco Omega on a 5'5" M rod. A BPS bait caster Rick Clum combo 6'6" MH. And a spinning rig Shimano/bionic blade rod. 6' lite setup.

Im torn between a 6' M spinning rig and a 7' MH baitcast setup.

I like the way my spinning real throws with the exception of having to use two hands to stop a too-long cast(and believe me at this stage of the game there are lots and lots of those.)

I believe I will need this smaller rig sooner than the other as the fish will be moving shallow soon and I plan on using lighter tackle in the shallows.

I like the bait casters being able to stop a wayward throw with the thumb but they are a little more maintenance intensive for me. (read wasp nest style tangles..lol) But a worming rod will sit unused for a couple of months I think.

What do you guys think I should do? ;)

Hello jettech. I will give you my opinion for what it's worth. Ultimately you will have decide what works best for you.

Your spincast and spinning setups should take care of your light tackle needs just fine. Your baitcast setup should take care of your heavier stuff. What I think is needed is a 6' or 6'6" (my choice) medium power fast action spinning combo. With this you can fish a variety of baits, including weightless plastics, shakeyheads, light weighted plastics, small crankbaits, the list goes on... Good luck, and enjoy the process. 8-)

BTW you can stop the cast on a spinning reel by using the first finger on the hand that holds the reel. As you bring your finger into contact with the outer lip of the spool, you can slow/stop the line much as you would use your thumb on a baitcast reel. It takes a little practice, but is worth the effort. One more suggestion ;), after you stop the line, engage the bail with your other hand. This will make line management much easier.

Just my 3 cents..you can do with a spinning rig what a baitcaster will do..seems some folks like to "look" cool having a baitcaster. Oth, a baitcaster will give you more leverage, and more control fishing in certian situations. Once you become comfy with a baitcaster, you can do almost as much as with a spinning rig, sans very light lures, and of course, you may not be able to cast as far.

To proplery use a baitcaster take some practice. There are a zillion topics on how to learn to use them here, a search should turn up more info than you'd care to read.. ;D Also imho, If you get a baitcaster, get the best one you can afford, the better ones will have better brakeing, a free spool, and be lighter in weight..plus have better bearings.

Im at BPS right now.....Im leaning towards the spinning combo...ill report later and let you guys know.  Thanks again.

I went with the Spinning combo.  Got a 6'6" Graphite Series rod medium/fast.  I bought an extreme Series EX 20 spinning reel.  That's under 80 bucks I think that will work best for right now.  Thanks for the advice guys.