Sign in to follow this  
Fishaholic7lbs

Big worm rod??

I'm looking for a good rod for throwing big deepwater jigs and heavy texas rigs. Whats a good stout rod that i could use. This will be the last rod of my countless collection for now lol. I would like to keep it about 7'

As a qoute "die hard shamano man"  :)

Shimano Crucial 7'2" Extra Heavy CRC-X72H, Lure Weight: 1/2-1 1/2oz, Line Weight: 15-30 lbs. mono/ 30-65 lbs. braid. Extra Fast Action.

I have to recommend the Dobyns Champion Extreme 744c. At 7'4" its a few inches over 7 feet but extremely well balanced. Yesterday I was throwing a 3/4oz jig with no problems. I managed to land a nice one that went 3lbs 8oz and this rod had plenty of power to bring the fish in along with a small branch from the cover I was throwing in. I'm sure it would make a great big worm rod and will handle anything up to its 1oz lure rating. I plan to use it as my c-rig and large t-rig rod along with 3/8 - 3/4 oz jigs. It is a pricey rod, but I cannot say enough good things about it and it's a beautiful rod cosmetically as well. You would not be dissapointed.

im using a mbr844c for big jigs and t-rig. the bcr series might be something to look into. the bcr803 is the best rod if fished lighter jigs with, unfortunately i havent tried the heavier powers.

Listen to Catt! The Crucials are darn good rods for the money!

It all depends on your budget...

I love the Loomis BCR 855 GLX for those applications but it's somewhat pricey... I have a new mossyback version in the swap sell forums that is also a fine rod for those techniques.

The Cumara CUCX72MH would also be a nice rod, as would a 7'H Crucial rod as a less expensive option.