Sign in to follow this  
mackkie

Crankin rods

I was thinking during work today:

I can see the value in spending some good $ on a rod that would be used for jigs/soft plastics, etc.  But if you are fishing crank baits, spinnerbaits, etc., then why spend money on a pricey rod?  Its not like you need to "feel" the bite or anything - they just come up and hammer it.

With that said, I am looking to buy 2 rods, 1 MH for jigs and 1 for cranking/spinnerbaits, etc.  If I had around $120 to spend on some rods, should i spend approx. $40 for a cranking rod and $80 for a jig rod?

If I had around $120 to spend on some rods, should i spend approx. $40 for a cranking rod and $80 for a jig rod?

yes

Doesnt really answer the question so much - why would someone spend $100-200 on a cranking rod - what benefits would you really expect to get out of something that gets quick, reaction strikes?

I have several BPS cranking sticks in different sizes.  They are servicable and do a fine job for cb's and topwaters.  They are a great value for the $ and they work for me BUT...

I also have a Falcon Cara reaction rod that at the time I got it retailed for around $180.  It was $80 on clearance!

Let me just say the old cleche is true when it comes to rods; "you get what you pay for".  That Cara is so light and sensitive.  You can feel exactly what the bait is doing much better and it is less fatiguing to use all day long.  You can tell when its working its way over rocks/wood/grass/etc. really helps you get two treble hooks thru thick cover.

There are times when the bass are taking a cb but not smashing it.  That's when it makes a difference.  For example if they push it from behind and move at you with the bait the bite is more subtle.

Also if you plan on fishing a swimbait with it, like I do with mine, you will really appreciate the extra sensitivity and better action of a higher dollar rod.

You decision depends upon several factors such as:

- you fishing conditions and environment

- your current equipment

- techiques that you use or plan to use

- future fishing budget

For instance, depending upon how thrift you are, there may be a significant difference in the quality of a jig rod that you can get for either $80 or $120.  You may also save some by not needing to purchase an extra reel.  So, if your situation allows, you might be better off getting a superior jig rod and making it work for crankbaits until the baitmonkey fund get replenished :)

For example I have upgraded and turned over my equipment each of the last 3 years.  The quality equipment remains in the rod rack and the starter equipment is deep in the basement. :)

Doesnt really answer the question so much - why would someone spend $100-200 on a cranking rod - what benefits would you really expect to get out of something that gets quick, reaction strikes?

Higher quality rods allow you to "feel" the

structure and cover. Many guys can tell the

type of grass they encounter as well as bottom

features: mud, sand, gravel, hard and soft

spots, ledges and humps. The rod transmits

far more information than you realize.

Fishermen who have mastered crankbaits use

them as their #1 search bait. Mike Iaconelli

talked at length at Bass University about using

crankbaits to find mussel concentrations along

ledges on the Tennessee River. These are areas

just a few yards long that are little sweet spots