Sign in to follow this  

Which reels are you using to cast frogs such as ribbit frogs(dont know if they are considered hollow body or what, but they are soft plastic ones not the spro type). Reason I ask is because I have heard people say they use their jig rod for frog rods but the frogs are WAY lighter than jigs

I think the idea of people using their jig rods for frogs has more to do with the cover in which they intend to fish the frog than the frog's weight.

That's absolutely right. In the case of both toads (like Ribbits) and frogs (like Spros), I find that so called frog rods are better at throwing frogs, than getting in a good hookset and extracting a fish from cover.

Whether i am pitching into cover or using ribbit frogs on topwater i always use my 7'6" H Fast action rod. I also use braid. This will allow for you to almost never lose a fish by him getting caught up and that H rod will allow for you to easily horse him out no matter how big he is

alot of companies make their frog rods medium heavy , i like a heavy powered rod with a moderate fast tip or just a fast tip . a longer rod is a plus also . i use my 2-6 oz. swimbait rod for launching frogs and it has plenty of power to get them up on top of the water and moving quickly towards me . my swimbait rod is 7'10" , i use 30 lb. or some times 50 lb. braid . and i throw them on my Revo SX (7.1:1) , as far as frogs being lighter than jigs , that all depends on the jigs you throw , frogs are usually heavier than 1/4 oz. jigs , but stanly ribbits are light !! i throw Canyon plastics 4.5" frogs and i'm guessing they weigh about 1/2-5/8 of an oz. with a 5/0 Owner twist lock hook . by using 30 lb. braid i'm also getting good distance with the lighter frogs , i feel you don't need more than 30 lb. braid even to pull fish out of grass and cover , that size braid is still plenty strong and cuts thru grass a little better than thicker braid cause of it's thinner diameter   :)