Sign in to follow this  
Paul Roberts

Carbonlite Workout

Been getting some fishing in, and using my new BPS Carbonlite 6-6 spinning rod some. Yesterday it got a workout:

Along with ~20 bass (13"-16" -where were the big girls??), came a 27" 7-12 channel cat -on a jerkbait! I actually hate hooking cats as they take time to beach, and this one broke the lip off a favorite jerk >;) . Took less than 5 minutes on .010 FC -coldwater and back-reeling help a lot.

Got some nice fillets and my son got to get out of bed, on a school night, and help me fillet and dig through the cool insides of a fish. 8-) It's stomach had thousands of Chironomid larvae (along with the mud these live in), one crayfish, the remnants of a rather large fish judging by the remaining bones.

Anyway. So far so good with the CL.

CarbonliteCat.jpg

Nice.

8-)

I have been wondering about these rods.  Haven't heard much about them.  In your opinion are they pretty light?

Nice catch and how do you think the rod held up?

My buddy bought a CarbonLite combo and I was real impressed with it. I threw it around for about 45 minutes or so...it handled quite a few dinks and a 3.5 pounder rather well. Then I broke his jig off so he took it away from me.

My buddy bought a CarbonLite combo and I was real impressed with it. I threw it around for about 45 minutes or so...it handled quite a few dinks and a 3.5 pounder rather well. Then I broke his jig off so he took it away from me.

BAD! ;)

Nice.

8-)

I have been wondering about these rods. Haven't heard much about them. In your opinion are they pretty light?

If you are familiar with the BPS line up I will make some comparisons for you.  The Carbonlite in my opinion is their second lightest rod.  Only the Johhny Morris Elite line (maybe signature line also) feel lighter to me.  The ProLite Finesse rod (which the Carbonlites replaced) are just a tad heavier than them.  They are definately lighter than any of their other rods. 

The split grip does make them feel just a tad tip heavy but I could get used to that.

BAD! ;)

If he was really your Buddy, he would have handed you another jig to tie on and then taken the rod back.  :)

I agree that the JM felt lighter in hand, and likely was. You do pay extra for the highest modulus graphites. In fact when I added a new spinnerbait rod to my arsenal I would have chose the JM over the CL, but found a Browning Midas (85mill.psi) on the clearance rack. :)

It's tough to judge actual weight of rods though without a scale; Balance affects this so much. My 6-6 M F spinning weighs 3.9oz. That's pretty light for that power -and it's a strong "M" -with plenty of butt. Compare this with my Kistler LTA 7ft M -similar power but 6 longer, and no skeletal guides -at 3.6oz ;).

From just "rack testing" rods in that price range though, I'd say the CLs are top in the price range in terms of stiffness/weight.

My CL is fast, but the tip is soft enough to cast lighter baits well, and allow me to watch the vibrations of plugs. It was my designated jerkbait rod for the day (actual several days now) and it's done that just fine. It's faster than what might be considered a "plug rod", but I didn't lose a fish with it due to pull-outs -back-reeling helps there in that I have complete and instant control of tension.

Looks like Fishing Rhino also gave his CL a workout too see his Sprinkler Head thread in the My fishing section.

With any super high modulus rod, breakage is possible. I've used a number of rods that had high breakage rates, and none have given way (without my help lol). BPS will see how they hold up with the general public. I don't expect to break mine and it will make a very good all-round M spinning rod -esp for jigs (single hooks). They make a 6-6 ML that might be an ideal

jerk/light crank rod, as well as finesse jig rod.

Love my carbonlite baitcasting setup.  I wish I had grabbed a spinning rod when they were still on the introductory price.  I still may at some point.  What reel do you have on that?  Almost wish there was a carbonlite spinning reel to go with it right now.  I'm very happy with the baitcaster.

I'm using a USReel 230sx. I like the design, and the extreme light weight. However it is a bit 'loose' feeling esp in the handle. I think it was over-priced. They've been on sale for a better price. I think the 3G or Pro would offer better quality for the money. I've had the original Ray Scott version, the American made one with a worm gear drive, for several years now and that's been a very good reel.

Anyway, that's what I'm using, but there are lots of choices out there.