Sign in to follow this  
tracker01

Does the Core 50mg have the beans ?

When I read the stuff on the Core 50mg it states "Light line and finesse" fishing. I have a Loomis GL-3 6'6" MH rod for this reel. I use 10pd and sometimes 12pd test line on my reels. Will this reel handle an 8 pound bass at the end of a 1oz weighted c-rig? I'm looking for a compact, low profile, light weight, multi use (not just finesse), reel for 1/8oz up to 1oz stuff.

Thanks.

Can it? Absolutely. Just watch it as you go up in line size, as the spool is shallow. I can nearly spool a few of my rigs with 17lb and a c rig.

The Core can more than handle an 8 pound bass.  The question should be, can 10-12 pound mono handle a one ounce jig and an 8 pound bass?

I'm curious - are you throwing 1oz Carolina Rigs on a 6'6"MH Loomis with 10/12lb line? ;)

The Core 50 has plenty of power, but doesn't have the line capacity I would look for in such an all purpose reel - 1oz carolina rigs included.  You may want to consider the Curado or Citica E... you'd still have enough $$ left over to buy a longer, heavier rod for your C-rigs  :)

I'm curious - are you throwing 1oz Carolina Rigs on a 6'6"MH Loomis with 10/12lb line? ;)

The Core 50 has plenty of power, but doesn't have the line capacity I would look for in such an all purpose reel - 1oz carolina rigs included. You may want to consider the Curado or Citica E... you'd still have enough $$ left over to buy a longer, heavier rod for your C-rigs :)

The use for this reel will be mainly for shallow river fishing, 1/4 to 1/2oz. spinner baits and for reservoir fishing 1/2oz and depending on the wind I might go a little heavier on the bullet weight. On the 8 pounder, that might be a little dreaming on my part but it is a possibility. I guess the question I should be asking is "given the right rod and the correct line" will this bad boy shine?

I guess the question I should be asking is "given the right rod and the correct line" will this bad boy shine?

Yes. Given the right rod and correct line it does shine. I consider the Core 50/51MG7 a "finesse power" reel - I use mine for pitching 1/8 to 3/8 oz jigs and plastics most often. It really shines with the lighter stuff, and can handle the 1/2 oz stuff - but most any reel can do that.