Sign in to follow this  
rgbaseball

should i get another rod?

trout season has started and i am noticing the same thing i did last year.  i use a 4' 6'' ul st. croix fast action rod which is an amazing rod with tons of feel. the only problem i have is when i use a spinner the rod basically bends in half while i reel in what should i do?

You should always get another rod.

GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is a terrible thing. :)

Tom

ok so how do i use both if i am wading a creek? do i carry both or just set out to do one thing or the other??

like this. see behind his right shoulder?

post-23992-130162928487_thumb.jpg

Most people will put there other rods close to shore somewhere relatively hidden. Even if you do that you still run the risk of getting those rods stolen and it has happened. You can tie a bell to your rods and keep it inconspicuous. That way, if someone takes it when you're not looking you will hear the bell ring and know you're being robbed.

I have devised a solution for this if you need to keep the other rod with you. I made it before I knew about similar items already on the market, but I do like to make practical things that can improve my fishing experience. I call it my rod sling and this is the first iteration that I will try to improve.

Take these materials:

STA77326Large.jpg

Small Piece of PVC Pipe about 3-5" long

Snap (don't really know what they're called but they're found on bags and backpacks

Velcroe

Strapping

Thread the strapping through the pvc pipe and attach the snap to each end of the strapping.

Fit it around like you're putting on a shoulder bag. Gravity will help keep the pvc pipe low.

Insert rod into pipe and bind part of the rod to the strapping with the velcroe.

I found that it will come in handy when you're close to landing a fish when you need that extra hand (which you normally won't have when your wading) for the net or to lip the fish to release the hook.

You can also turn it around to hold the rod on your back like He-Man. ;D

Here is my son sporting it on the front side. He liked it so much that he asked me to make one for his Spiderman rod. ;D

STA77332Large.jpg

BTW, you can fish with it on, but you will need to be mindful of your cast so as to not get your lure or terminal tackle tangled with the unused rod.

trout season has started and i am noticing the same thing i did last year. i use a 4' 6'' ul st. croix fast action rod which is an amazing rod with tons of feel. the only problem i have is when i use a spinner the rod basically bends in half while i reel in what should i do?

the bait monkey says not to buy one rod but buy two or three , you can't fish  with just a 4'6" ultra light , come on man , get with it ;D ;D ;D

Really like islandbass' rod holder set-up.

But, one rod should do it on a trout stream. Pick one -an UL to L say 5-1/2ft with a MF action (some stiffness in the butt).

ok so how do i use both if i am wading a creek? do i carry both or just set out to do one thing or the other??

ok so i just killed two birds with one stone for you tackle storage and rod carrying

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0075021125063a&navCount=1&podId=0075021&parentId=cat604771&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=cat20182_feat&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat604771&hasJS=true