Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Need advice setting up technique rods and reels.

Never was a 'Bass' fisherman per se. Now I'd like to target SM and LM bass on a regular basis. What I need from you experts are suggestions on a few rod/reel combinations for different applications. I've never 'frogged', 'pitched', 'drop shot', or whatever. Mostly I've used small jigs, spinners and crankbaits with some live bait thrown in...all on spinning equipment. Was always an opportunist when it came to fishing. Calicos, bluegills, perch, catfish, SM & LM bass, pickeral, Northern pike, bullheads, or anything else I could catch. ;D

Most fishing will be done in Eastern Pennsy with the occasional trip to Florida to fish with relatives. What I currently have is a tuned Fuego spooled with 12 lb. Elite on a 7' MH Fast Airrus Ultra XL for cranking, spinners, buzz baits, etc. An STX spooled with 40 lb. Sufix Performance braid on a 7' MH Fast Fenwick Techna AV that I hope will suffice for jigs and plastic worms (flukes or ?). I also have one of Dick's new Tec Specific 6' 8" Medium Fast rods (1/4-58 oz. lures). My current plan for it is to mount an old 5001C on it, and try everything in the tackle box on it to see what works. :-/

I've posted elsewhere about a rod suitable for light (less than 1/4 oz.) lures for my Alphas ito. It is spooled with 8 lb. P-Line CX, but I am thinking about re-spooling it with PowerPro 10/2 braid after reading the responses on my ultralight rod thread. What would be some good lures to try with this combination?

I've read a bunch of articles on this forum (thanks guys for making them available), but haven't had a chance to put any of them to use yet.

All comments are welcome. If you have any more ideas for what other applications I can use the rods I already have, please don't be bashful. Speak up. 8-)

I have a second Fuego, and am hoping to pick up another decent reel after my tax return arrives. So I will need 2 new rods. I want to try Senkos (both normal and rigged 'wacky') and any other method that you think I should try. So far I have purchased rods that I hope can be used for multiple purposes as I can't afford 15 rod/reels for 15 applications. :'(

Almost forgot. I don't own a boat, so most of my fishing will be from shore (except when in Florida). I've never fished moving water, but will have to learn as that is about all there is in this area. I live near the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers. There is one lake that I will also be trying. I hear the Delaware has excellent smallmouth fishing. The lake I will be fishing at is managed for largemouth bass and trout.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Here ya go:

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

Specifically:

Technique specific rods are for "enthusiasts".

Almost all your fishing can be done with just

one rod. Beyond that, you only "need" three rods:

Spinning: 6 1/2' or 7', M or MH, Fast Action

(soft plastics and light lures)

Baitcasting: MH or H, Fast Action

(jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and all single hooks)

Baitcasting: MH, Moderate Action

(all treble hook lures)

8-)

Thanks, roadwarrior.  I have read that before, BUT this time I saved it for future reference.   :)  It would seem that I have at least 90% covered.  I've fished the Airrus, although I haven't caught a fish on it yet, nor did I expect to given the temperature and lure I was throwing.  It was casting practice for me.  I kind of doubt the Airrus would do well on techniques that require maximum sensitivity given that it isn't fully graphite.  The Fenwick may, but I've only cast it in my backyard.

The problem is one rod is all I can fish with at a time, but 20 rods in my arsenal wouldn't be too many.   ;D ;D

I only try to keep it at around 4 poles.

One spinning 6'9" MH, this is for pretty much any weight below 1/4oz.

A flipping rod, 7'6"MH 1/2-1 1/2oz, this is used for flipping and frogging or anything that requires deep weeds, sometimes used for spinner baits.

One 6'9" MH for purely spinnerbaits, I dont fish with jigs so this is pretty much just spinner baits, but would work great with light flipping and some jigs.

Last one is a 7' MH for top water. Can also use crankbaits but dont usually fish them so its pretty much just top water, sometimes a spinnerbait.

With just these four rods I have pretty much every part of the lake covered. Even on trips where I don't fish for just bass I would use the spinning for walleye and the flipping stick for pike.

Hey, Mac, thanks for breaking it down!  ;D