Sign in to follow this  
DaveT63

Recommended uses for 7' ML casting rod?

I recently picked up a used St Croix premier 7'ML casting rod at a flea market cheap.  Most recommendations I see on here are for medium or medium heavy rods.  So, what are some recommended uses for a medium light action rod?

Thanks,

Dave

Depends somewhat on the action of the rod. Personally if it mod-fast it would be great for small crankbaits and small treble lures. If it is a fast action, I would use it with weightless plastics like senkos and flukes, or even open hooked tubes.

That is what I would use it for.

Shaky heads, drop shot rigs, and weightless plastics (other than Senkos, they are fairly heavy) would all work well on a ML rod as long as it has a fast action. If it has a moderate action I would use it for small crankbaits.

It's funny you ask because I just purcased a E21 Gold Carrot stik 7' ML and put a Orange Amber Daiwa Pixy on it. It is a deadly senko, fluke, and shakey head rod. You can feel every little bump and gravel on the bottom. The best part about it is the weight. This thing feels like you are holding nothing in your hands. My suggestion is buy a pixy then call Smooth Drag and get the drag upgrade mount it on that rod and you will have a killer combo.

It's funny you ask because I just purcased a E21 Gold Carrot stik 7' ML and put a Orange Amber Daiwa Pixy on it. It is a deadly senko, fluke, and shakey head rod. You can feel every little bump and gravel on the bottom. The best part about it is the weight. This thing feels like you are holding nothing in your hands. My suggestion is buy a pixy then call Smooth Drag and get the drag upgrade mount it on that rod and you will have a killer combo.

I have an older Curado on it right now.  It was on it when I bought it at the flea market, and I didn't see any reason to change it out as I think it's a pretty decent combo as it is. 

Thanks for the responses.  I haven't tried the drop shot stuff yet, but may have to now.

Dave

Just try out a few things. You'll soon discover what that rod is good for.

I have three ML casting rods in the regular rotation.

6'9" ML-F BPS Pro Finesse rod. Usually has a tube rigged up on it. Sometimes, a split-shot rig with a small hook and finesse worm. It's also good for small cranks and the smallest topwater baits.

6'9" St Croix LT ML-XF. This is almost totally dedicated to wacky jigging. Drop-shotting sometimes happens with this rod.

7' ML Kistler Helium LTA. It doesn't say on it, but I would call this a mod-fast action rod. It flexes a bit farther down into the blank than what I normally expect from a fast action rod. This one is usually rigged up with a Super Fluke or Houdini Shad. If the fish aren't into flukes, I'll have a light jigworm rigged on this rod. Also a good small crank and jerkbait rod.

There are a few things for you to try out.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Guest beowulfx71

Premiers can be under rated-I have an older 6'6" ML Premier, but its more like a M(1/4-5/8 lures). I use it for spinner/buzz/chatter baits.