Sign in to follow this  
bassman018

1pc VS. 2pc.

looking at some of the higher end rods today these rods are all 1 pc. And most lower end ones are 2 pc. I am guessing that this is because of sensitivity or something else. What do you think? is a 2pc. a deal breaker?

I think there is some loss of sensitivity in the 2 pc rods, which is probably why the higher end rods are mostly 1 pc.  But you can find some better 2 pc rods.  I know St Croix makes some 2 pc Premiers and Avids.  I prefer 1 pc rods, but 2 pc can be convenient if you have to keep your rods in a small car or trunk.

No facts to back it up, but I'm sure there has to be some loss in sensitivity in a 2pc.  2pc rods are geared towards making storage/transport in confined areas more manageable.  I've grown fond of 1pc rods so much that a 2pc would be a deal breaker except for 10-12ft crappie rods ;).  To each its own. 

It really depends on your needs. It your transport simply cannot accomodate one-piece rods, then going with a 2-piece rod is a necessity moreso than a deal breaker, right?

As for loss of sensitivity it might have been more of an issue with older two piece rods, and not so much these days.

With some of the modern two piece rods, depending on the manufacturer, this "loss" might not even be detectable by most anglers. After all you can look at Loomis, Shimano, Lamiglas and St. Croix. Most of their best salmon and steelhead rods are two piece rods.

My trunk rods are two piece by necessity to stay hidden in the trunk. There are a 2-piece compre spinning, a Cabela Mag touch and Clarus casting rods. TO give you an idea, all of them are sufficiently sensitive enought to drop shot with and feel the smallest of nibbles.

My one-piece rods only see action on the weekends where my eyes are on them 24/7. I never ever leave my one-piece rods visibly unattended in the car, not even for 10 seconds because that's all it takes for a thief.

If you can help it, go one piece. If not then two. No need for a headache for something that is quite clear cut. ;)

looking at some of the higher end rods today these rods are all 1 pc. And most lower end ones are 2 pc. I am guessing that this is because of sensitivity or something else. What do you think? is a 2pc. a deal breaker?

That 's beacuse you 've been looking in the wrong place for a good quality 2 piece rod GLoomis and St Croix manufacture great 2 piece rods.

On the subject of sensitivity loss, yes there is sensitivity loss but if you purchase a good quality rod you will not notice it, I know it because I have a couple of good quality 2 piece rods and they are more sensitive than several 1 piece rods I have. My 2 piece Bosco in the sensitivity subject is a lot more sensitive than my GLoomis GL2 and up par with an Avid.

A well designed 2-Piece will outperform a poorly engineered 1-Piece...

However, convenience has its costs ;)