Sign in to follow this  
Chris W.

Spiderwire Super Mono (EZ & XXX)

I bought some Spiderwire Super Mono EZ when I bought my new rod & reel combo. As i was cleaning it it got to be a bit of a mess, so i stripped it off and went out and bought some Spiderwire Super Mono XXX for my girlfriend and I. I got a spool of 350 yards and put it on both of our reels. I LOVED the EZ stuff, will I like the XXX more, less or the same? I'm going out tomorrow morning so I want to know if it's me or the line if something goes wrong. Input please! ;)

I have used both and wouldn't hesitate to use either. You can think of EZ being somewhat like Trilene's XL and XXX to Trilene's XT.

XXX is probably going to be a slightly thicker than EZ of the same test and should be a bit more abrasion resistant.

As for manageability, it really depends on the # test you are using and the reel type.

I current have XXX on one casting reel in 8# test and like it for my smaller cranks. I have landed trout, smallmouth, largemouth, and even some big pink salmon with 8# test XXX without issue.

Keep in mind that any mono can do what you just experienced. It's a given with mono eventually.

I've never used the EZ, but LOVE the XXX.  But like any other line out there, you will find some people who hate it, and some who love it.  Try it and see for yourself is the best advice I could give you.