Sign in to follow this  
Dockhead

Guide wrap

One of the spinning rods I was counting on for the weekend has a problem. The guide closest to the reel seat is coming unwrapped. One layer peeled off, and the guide itself was actually a little crooked. I moved it back, but of course now it is a little loose.

So, I need a quick fix (maybe just a couple drops of super glue?) and I am also wondering if there is an inexpensive long term fix??

It is not an expensive rod (although I do love it so), and replacing it will definitely be an option.

Any help is appreciated - as always!

One of the spinning rods I was counting on for the weekend has a problem. The guide closest to the reel seat is coming unwrapped. One layer peeled off, and the guide itself was actually a little crooked. I moved it back, but of course now it is a little loose.

So, I need a quick fix (maybe just a couple drops of super glue?) and I am also wondering if there is an inexpensive long term fix??

It is not an expensive rod (although I do love it so), and replacing it will definitely be an option.

Any help is appreciated - as always!

Quick fix - If you can find a waterproof 5 min epoxy you could use that. As far as long term fix's, the guide must be re-wrapped, repositioned, and re-finished....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Devcon 2-Ton is waterproof and fully cures in about 30 minutes. Devcon 5 Minute is not waterproof, but it wouldn't really matter unless it was going to be submerged and it does cure up in 5 minutes. I would just dab a little 2-Ton on it, smooth it out a bit, and go fishing. The 2-Ton will saturate a little better because of the longer cure time. I keep 2-Ton in the shop because it is good for glueing so many things, it cures quickly, is waterproof, and strong as all get out. As a rod builder, I like Devcon 2-Ton because you can get it at Wal-Mart (hardware department), it is very strong, and it has a more flexible bond than 5 Minute.

Thanks guys.

I will pick some of that Devcon 2-Ton up tomorrow after work and see what I can do to get this stick ready to roll.

Be sure to get the guide re-wrapped eventually. The thread is what secures the guide in place. The epoxy is to protect the thread.