Sign in to follow this  
trevor

All Star Platinum Rods

I have a 6'6" MXF casting rod that I havn't used much but can tell you it is sensitive, it is a little heavier(4.6oz) than an Avid (4.1oz) it dosent balance as well as an avid and it feels more like a MH rod.It is not made in the USA

T

And it's considerably less expensive than an Avid. I own and fish three every week. I also build many of my own rods, so I have a good eye for build quality. It's not a Loomis, nor is it a higher end St. Croix, but at less than $100, it's a good rod. I have the 6'6" Light Fast, 6'6" Medium XFast (awesome spinnerbait rod), and a 6'6" MH Fast, which is no where NEARLY as stiff as my custom 6'6" MH Fast SC3MHF (Avid Series Blank).

The Platinums were the replacement for the Titaniums. Same blank without the Titanium guides. The first Platinums were Houston made. The line isn't even made anymore and once Pure fishing bought them out it's probable they moved manufacture off shore. Any "new" Platinums still being sold today would be later version, non-USA rods. I've fished the early version USA Platinums and they fished as good as a Titanium. Great rods with high dollar sensitivity at a low price. They're tough too. You will literally have to step on one to break them, chips and nicks in the blanks are not a problem.

Most of my use has been with a Medium Light spinning rod, so I can't comment much about weight and balance.  However, the sensitivity of my ML and others that I had briefly was fantastic.  I sold them only because I moved towards spit handle/no fore grip designs. 

If you like the classic feel of the Platinums, you will be hard pressed to find another <$100 rod that delivers the same sensitivity.

If you look around you can still find U.S made Platinums and Team All Stars.  They will say "Houston Texas" and "IM10" on the blank.  The new ones don't say either.  Academy and Dicks stores in Dallas still have some of both.