Sign in to follow this  
Hot n Tot

Loomis MBR842C or PR844C

Can someone compare these two rods for me? Are they totally different actions? I already have the MBR842 and am thinking about another one. Would the PR844C be better for small cranks and lipless crankbaits...other treble hook lures? Which of these two rods do you prefer overall?  Thanks for any replies.

I have the MBR 842 GLX and had a PR 844 GLX.  The PR is much more moderate or "whippy" in my hands.  I prefer the MBR 842 over the PR 844 for all the types of fishing I do.  I don't think the PR 844 would be better for small cranks, lipless, or other treble baits.  Get another 842, you'll be happy you did!

With great respect for Bronzefly's opinion, I disagree...

Although the MBR842 has become my favorite

rod (matched with a Core 50MG7), I think the

PR844C is a better choice for medium and light

weight treble hooks. The PR844C loads up and

casts even light lures (Bandit 200) a country mile.

The soft tip is also extremely valuable during the

fight.

The MBR842C is a MUCH better "all-around"

rod, but if you are looking for something technique

specific, the PR844C is the ticket. Mine is matched

with a Core 100MG7.

8-)

I certainly understand where you're coming from Kent... I've often said that I like a much less moderate rod for treble hook baits than most guys hence my preference for the 842.  I also utilize the drag system on my reels more than most guys I know too! ;D  The PR844 is an awesome small crank rod for guys who like a more moderate action than the MBR 842 offers.  I use my 842 for bandit 200's and other smaller cranks and love the action of the rod for those purposes - as well as 1/4 oz traps, jerkbaits, topwaters, etc 8-)

P.S. I'm not positive, but I think I bought one

or both of these rods and maybe one of the Core

from Bronzefly. When you decide what you want,

check with him and maybe he can help.

-Kent

I have to disagree with both of you. ;D BTW, who has caught the largest smallie between you two? You gain some respect with those pigs attached to each of your posts.

It just goes to show you that different people prefer different rods for the same technique.

I have a CBR783 which is really light powered for very small cranks, without directly comaring them it almost sounds like other than being 6" shorter it might do most of the things the PR844C would do. I'm 90% sure I'm going to get another 842. The 10% unsure is that I still don't have an MBR844C.  I'm using a 7' MH Avid for that duty.  It's a nice rod, but not a GLX. So little money, and so many wants!

My vote is for the MBR842C rod (and of course with a Steez reel).  The 842 is hard to beat for small and lipless cranks.  It will cast a mile, nice flex when reeling the lure and awesome backbone to handle the fish.

Now I gotta find a way to get that core off RW's 842 and replace it with a steez.  I should have made you fish with my combo at pickwick.