Sign in to follow this  
wbassrogue

do rods "wear out" overtime

ive had a bps extreme rod for 3 years as my go to,i fished the hell out of it, 150+outings.It has served me wonderfully, I dont if its my age, but it just doesnt seem as sensitive as it once was..i do basic maitenance, guides are straight, fresh line,greased reel.

Im wondering I guess if there is a point where rods from being fatigued lose some of their touch?

Or is this all in my head?

ive had a bps extreme rod for 3 years as my go to,i fished the hell out of it, 150+outings.It has served me wonderfully, I dont if its my age, but it just doesnt seem as sensitive as it once was..i do basic maitenance, guides are straight, fresh line,greased reel.

Im wondering I guess if there is a point where rods from being fatigued lose some of their touch?

Or is this all in my head?

This topic has come up in the past, and the consensus has been that age and use does not affect the sensitivity or action of a rod. I would agree with this.

If it wore out after only three years it is a POS. I've got a feeling that your subconscious "Bait Monkey" is playing mind games with you.

My Berkley Lightnings are more than two decades old and they feel and behave the same way like they did when new, actually, I still fish with them, not as much as back then and they have been relegated to to perform the least glamourous chores now however I don 't think they are worn out.

I would say depends on how they are taken care of. Mistreat them and they will let you know when they have had enough...

Tight Lines!

I have an older AllStar TWS that I've been using for over 20 years and it's still going strong.  It's my favorite rod in my boat.  I use it for all topwater, jerkbaits, and small crankbaits. 

I have a Berkley cherry rod that my dad bought for me when I was 6 and it has gone through some reels but the 6' rod is just as good now as it was then and I'm 47 so my answer would be no.