Sign in to follow this  
0ldwun01

Advantage/disadvantage of a 7.0 bait caster

My kids got me a Shimano Curado E7 baitcaster. All my other reels are 5.3 or so. What should I expect for general all around use. Is  it a good reel for light jigs and plastics. I understand it reels in more line per hjandle turn.but in the grass will I have problem with frogs?

I don't have a Curado, but have several 7.1:1 reels. That is the perfect speed for frogs IMO. The higher speed enables you to get the fish out of heavy cover quickly, before it can dig in. The higher speed reel also allows you to quickly pickup line when fishing a bottom bumping bait like a jig or worm. I think you will be happy with the reel. It gets very good reviews.

7:1 High Speed Reels are perfect for anything and everything. By far the most versatile. After using it, you're going to want to switch out all of your slow reels. Frogs and jigs are where it really shines, along with soft plastics and such.

Buzzbaits, slightly easier to keep them on the surface. Walkin the dog, less cranking, easier to control the slack you have to keep in your line. Great for pitching getting the lure back to you through empty water.

Good luck throwing large spinnerbaits.  Your wrists will be hurting.

Good luck throwing large spinnerbaits. Your wrists will be hurting.

WHY

you just have to turn the handle slower?

7.x reels are great for just about everything except swimbaits and deep cranks.

The amount of drag is more important for pulling hawgs out of thick grass and heavy cover then the speed of the reel. Lucky for you tho the curado has 11 pounds of drag which is where it shines compared to my daiwas which only have 8.8 pounds of drag. Makes a difference imo

I have been deep cranking with them and they work great for deep cranking as well. Sure it may take a tad more work, but I can cover water quick, and I don't have a reel that's only good for one thing!

7:1 reels truly are great for everything.

Your kids are incredible at picking out gifts!

WHY

I have been deep cranking with them and they work great for deep cranking as well. Sure it may take a tad more work, but I can cover water quick, and I don't have a reel that's only good for one thing!

7:1 reels truly are great for everything.

Your kids are incredible at picking out gifts!

WHY

Your wrists will be hurting.  ;)

yeah.

the only thing that i throw on a reel slower than 6.3 are deep cranks and big spinnerbaits.

and i cant say enough about them for pitching and flipping... you can catch up to a quick bite on the fall like nothing else.

11lbs of drag?  ha... my quantums got 18.

had to say it... its the only thing i got on shimano. lol.

I love my 7.0 reels....

I'm holding out for this fall's new 2 speed reels. 10 bearings. 2 speeds. 4.7 / 9.4 ratio can be changed during retrieve. 24 or 48" per turn. 125 yds. 12# mono. 9.3 oz.

I'm holding out for this fall's new 2 speed reels. 10 bearings. 2 speeds. 4.7 / 9.4 ratio can be changed during retrieve. 24 or 48" per turn. 125 yds. 12# mono. 9.3 oz.

holy smokes 9.4:1 that is a fast reel

7:1 High Speed Reels are perfect for anything and everything. By far the most versatile. After using it, you're going to want to switch out all of your slow reels. Frogs and jigs are where it really shines, along with soft plastics and such.

X2, plus burning spinnerbaits is almost easy.

-gk