Sign in to follow this  
wareagle83

New Shimano, factory grease hampering performance?

Would it be practical to clean out the grease from the levewind, etc, and use oil on my new Citica.  The reel is smooth, but doesn't feel quite as smooth or cast as far as I thought as easy as I thought it would. Do they also use grease on the spool bearings as well?  I understand their reasoning, being that most anglers will never clean/regrease and oil their reels after buying them.  So grease lasts longer for the average guy.  How much benefit is going to oil on the key pieces like levelwind/bearings?  Thanks as always  ;)

You definitely don't want to remove the grease from the levelwind (edit - I was thinking WORM GEAR for some reason ;).).. there is however a significant difference when you clean and relube the spool bearings. I use an ultrasonic machine to clean my bearings, but a good soak and swirl in acetone, a couple of times will help as well. Good luck!

Please do not grease the levelwind.

It will collect dirt and debris if you put grease on it.

Have you placed the magnets in an "X" pattern?

Have you "balanced" the rod, reel and bait?

Maybe there are other things other than the levelwind that is inhibiting your casting.  ;)

I have 3 or 2 magnets engaged depending on lure/conditions and they are in a non conflicting pattern.  The reel casts great, I just wondered about the grease and oil question.  Some say that you should always use grease on the levelwind, others say to use oil for better performance and the fact that it doesn't attract so much junk.  I haven't used casting gear in quite awhile, atleast since last summer and thought the reel would cast lighter baits easier than it does, but then again I have been on spinning tackle for quite sometime fishing smaller finesse type baits, so I guess that is a lot to ask from any casting reel.  Thanks for the link  Burley ;)

Have you placed the magnets in an "X" pattern?

Magnets on a Shimano . :question

I think everyone has gotten a bit discombobulated on this thread - including myself! ;D

They are brake weights of course! 8-)

A few fun facts,

The levelwind is disengaged while casting. Some folks prefer grease on the levelwind, while others like oil. Either will work fine. One method is no better than the other

Brakes. The Citia has brakes, and you can set anywhere from zero to six brakes. I recommend starting with three on. I use two on in my Curado E7

The spool bearings are indeed greased. If you clean then and lube with a bearing oil, they will spin more freely.

The rod has a lot to do with casting distance, as does bait choice