Sign in to follow this  
DieselvRR

Need help on reel selection

First post here,

Been out of fishing for a long time and wanted to get back into it. I went out last night and purchased a St. Croix Triumph 7' M. They didnt have a good reel selection so I deferred the reel purchase. I have been looking online but need some guideance.

Was a big fan of Shimano, are they still pretty good? How are they compared to Quantum or Okuma?

I was looking at the Stradic FI spinning, but seems most places online only carry up to the 3000FI (10lb tst max). The rod is rated up to 12lbs max, do you think I can pull off the 12lb test with todays line on the 3000FI or do I need to bump up to the 5000FI?

Thanks or any input or recommendations.

Personally I use all quantum and have only Energy PT's, but I love them.  Dont fish much clear water so I use braid alot on my spinning gear and you can easily get away with 20 lb. braid because of the diameter.  Sorry, don't know if its much help but I know you'll get alot of feedback from Shimano lovers on here.

For many "Bass" class spinning reels which are typically 2500 or smaller, 12# mono might be a bit unruly.

3000 sized reels probably won't fare much better but the 4000 sized reel should be okay.

It is at about this point where the use of a casting reel becomes more practical and convenient but it's your prerogative.

I would choose a 4000 sized reel if I were forced to use 12# mono. Many salmon guys in my area use 4000 sized reels with 12 and higher. I know that there are a few reels in shimano's line up that are 4000 size. I would go with them given your other choices because I have only used shimano out of your 3 choices.

If you are fishing for bass , a 2500 reel is all you need.

Specifically, Stradic 2500 CI4 if that is in your

price range. Otherwise, the Stradic 2500 FI. For

line, I recommend Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft #6.

This line has a breaking strength of ~11.9 lbs.

8-)