Sign in to follow this  
crimefighter3

skipping tackle

I'm looking for a new spinning rod to use for skipping shaky heads under docks. What length and flex should I be looking for? I'm looking to spend between $50-$100. Suggestions?

Im looking at rods for the same technique. Ive been able to handle two rods, St.Croix Premier 5'6"M and a Legend Tournament 5'6"M skipping model.  For the money the Premier is fine.  Thats a tough rod to find in stores around here and Im not familiar with other skipping specific rods. Alot folks will say to use a longer rod but Ive never been happy skipping with longer than 6'.

In that price range, I'd go with the Shimano Clarus line-

I think your best bet would be the CSSX60MHA...6' Medium Heavy, Extra Fast, 8-14# line, 1/4-3/4 lures.

I just adapt to my rod my gloomis imx fast action rod is my all purpose rod and skipping with it just takes practice. skipping a shakey head is not doable unless you skip it really hard! you end up tearing the plastic. trying to skip hard jig heads like the shakey head and other hard tackle is like throwing a rock into the ground only way to get a nice skip is weightless plastics. when skipping look to try and throw the lure not at the water but more like trying to get the lure to just be casted above the the water straight and above the water and when the lure falls it will SKIP and there will be lots of skips if your getting a skip then it flys into the air or dosnt get another skip until the lure is far out there that means your trying to skip it hard by throwing it at the water.

hope i explained this well enough

I like to skip shaky heads. It is tougher than unweighted senkos and such, but very doable. I go through a lot of worms though because they tear at the point where the hook enters the worm. Actually it's more of a loosening of the area around where the hook penetrates, not really tearing.

I use a 6'6" MH Team Daiwa rod. Recently tried a 6'10" rod and to my surprise it felt uncomfortable skipping with it.

I've built a couple skipping rods recently for guys that couldn't find what they wanted in a production rod. One on a St Croix Avid blank, the other on an MHX. Both were Med/Fast cut down to 5'8" spinning and 6'3" casting respectively. Both performed well. Personally, I prefer spinning tackle for skipping.