Sign in to follow this  
Oldbritguy

Disaster with Diawa Megaforce reel. . .

Bought a cheap($65) Diawa Megaforce 100TSH/TSHL reel recently. Has a "twitchin' bar" feature. Unfortunately the line (30lb braid) frequently wraps around the twitching bar when casting, and fouls up the cast.

So, decided to be brave and try to remove the twitchin' bar. Eventually got the thing apart and removed the bar and its gearing O.K. BUT, when trying to put the whole thing back together again half the other parts started dropping out all over the place; discs, bearings, springs, more discs, etc. etc. and had no idea where they all came from or what order to reassemble them.

Now I have a bag of parts and an 'exploded view' diagram, which I cant really follow very clearly. I doubt my abilities to correctly reassemble this reel.

Question now is: Do I pay a local service guy ($$$$'s ???) to reassemble it, or put the whole thing down to a bad experience and just get a better quality reel with NO #$%^& TWITCHIN' BAR sticking up to foul the line!!!

Any alternative thoughts, anybody???

:-[

(No smartass jokes please.. .)

Won't bring up the Daiwa Twitchn Bar Gimmick thread again.

It's repairable and properly used is an OK reel...

Take or send it to Mikes Reel Repair .....

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

You could do both. Have it serviced and re-assembled, and then sell it off in the flea market.

O.K. but if it was reassembled I'd probably be happy to use it, MINUS that d**n twitchin bar abomination.

I bought it because $65 seemed a good buy for 7.3:1 ratio reel. I figured I would never use tdhe twitchin feature anyway. . . Never thought the bar would foul up the casts!

Question becomes; 'how much am I likely to have to pay for reassembling' ; and will it be worth it?

What does it cost to have a baitcaster reel re-assembled? I've no idea what these guys charge for this.

The main assemblies are still intact, but there are lots of little discs and springs and stuff that fell out.

Question becomes; 'how much am I likely to have to pay for reassembling' ; and will it be worth it?

What does it cost to have a baitcaster reel re-assembled? I've no idea what these guys charge for this.

The main assemblies are still intact, but there are lots of little discs and springs and stuff that fell out.

To mine and many other service shop's it is considered a basket case (disassembled reel), and will add a small fee to their standard service charges. This is all dependant on whether or not all of the parts are there, and none need to be ordered/replaced....

Up in your territory I would check with Mikes repair....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Assuming all the parts are there, you should be able to have it reassembled locally (Mike's is up there) for less than the cost of a replacement. As suggested, you can use it or sell and buy something else. I can't see just chucking it.

Just thought I'd post the sequel to this scenario.  My local reel guy put everything back together again - minus the @#$%^&*@ twitchin' bar  (Cost twenty bucks) but - reel now works fine, and actually casts quite nicely with 30# braid.  So, for a 7.3:1 retreive reel I guess it was not such a disaster after all. . .

But I'm still sursprized BPS would sell such a potential disaster. . .

Must have been the line used, I never had this happen when I had the megaforce. It was decent for a cheap reel, but I never saw a purpose for the twitching bar. Good to hear it worked out well.

Must have been the line used, I never had this happen when I had the megaforce. It was decent for a cheap reel, but I never saw a purpose for the twitching bar. Good to hear it worked out well.