Sign in to follow this  
twitchfish

The Basics

I would like some help visiting the basics. Over the last year i have aquired some really nice reels and my concern is how well I am taking care of them. I am shorebound and the waters I primarily fish are getting covered with vegetation, moss and particulate and filamentous algae. These are being carried by my line to my reels. I know that these reels are sealed well, but how well? For instance, a Zillion has developed a noisy cast, what needs to be cleaned? Is it something I, the village idiot, can do? A Sol is visibly dirty and< may be imagining it, but may not be as smooth as it once was, what should I do for it?

I think alot of folks get busy, start having fun and neglect taking care of their equipment, hope helping me helps some others too.

Twitchfish

Most village idiots (me included) have their reels professionally cleaned at least once a year.

i need to have my reels cleaned and service but its like 5 or 6 reels that need cleaning and i don't have the money to get them all cleaned

I also get a good professional cleaning in the "offseason" but, I am not going to during the season. 

All reels pick up junk when fishing. It's good to carry a quality reel oil with you when fishing. Rince off crud with clean water and apply oil. If you can't do it yourself, have your reels professionally cleaned once a year. ;)

Putting 1 drop of light oil on the races of the spool bearings should quiet your reel until you can get it serviced. Wipe them down as best you can to get the obvious crud off especially around the level wind. If you experience worsening symptoms, you may want to have a reel serviced sooner rather than later. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mike