Sign in to follow this  
set_the_hook

lipless cranks in grass

Im looking at a couple of different options for lipless cranks for grass. im trying to decide on glass or graphite cranking rods. i will be using braid, im looking at a 

1. Powell glass spook and trap

2. Powell Glass 754

3. Dobyns 705 graphite cranking rod

4. Dobyns 705 glass

any input would be great thanks

Ahh very good choices my friend! I would go with the fiberglass pole IMO, unless you fish with monofilament then definitely go graphite! 8-)

set_the_hook, great question.

I wish there was one rod designed for fishing lipless cranks in grass so we would not have to think which rods are best.

Of course you know you need power to get the bass out of the grass. So a good backbone is necessary.

As what Burley said, a glass rod may not have that power so you may want to consider graphite.

I use a 7' graphite rod for the power.  I am not concerned about the "feel" as you will know when the bass takes the lipless crankbait.

You will also need the power to rip the crank out of the grass when it gets stuck.

I just saw an interesting suggesion regarding crankbait treble hooks in Bassin magazine.

Take the crank and place the front hook onto the crank's body. Then, take a pliers and bend the third hook that is facing down upward and towards the crank's body taking it out of the equation.

By doing this you are supposed to avoid many of the snags when fishing over and through grass.

You can do this with regular cranks, too.

If you are not subscribing to Bassin magazine I strongly suggest making the investment. Best bass fishing magazine on the market.

Kevin Van Dam writes on page 45 of his book, Secretes of a Champion, to luse a large number 2 hook on the belly and remove the rear hook from your lipless crankbaits when fishing grass.

VanDam says the bass will hit the crank hard when they are aggressive and that the rear hook can be more of a nuisance than a benefit.

You may want to try what KVD writes and let us know of your results.

Good luck.  :)

I wish there was one rod designed for fishing lipless cranks in grass so we would not have to think which rods are best.

I know of two and have used them both. The Loomis CBR 906 was designed specifically for this purpose and works great. The new Shimano Cumara CUCX711MH was also designed with this purpose in mind. I've used both on Guntersville in the grass with braided lines and have been very happy with the results.

I would also shy away from glass or very moderate action rods for this technique. It requires a stick with some backbone in my opinion.

Out of the ones listed, I would suggest the 705CB graphite rod. I have used it in moderate grass with no problems. I would probably recommend a 7ft or longer MH rod for this application. Loomis MBR 843, Dobyns or Powell 733, or any of the above mentioned.

I know of two and have used them both. The Loomis CBR 906 was designed specifically for this purpose and works great. The new Shimano Cumara CUCX711MH was also designed with this purpose in mind. I've used both on Guntersville in the grass with braided lines and have been very happy with the results.

I would also shy away from glass or very moderate action rods for this technique. It requires a stick with some backbone in my opinion.

Having used BF's Cumara for a few casts on Guntersville, I can say that it is an excellent rod for this  job.  Totally changed my approach to this technique.

Feel is important.

Glass crankbait rods don't really have enough backbone for ripping traps in grass.

X2.

huh??? i don't understand this line of reasoning at all. it's the action of the rod that determines if it can rip traps in grass, not the material it is made of. i've owned many cranking rods, glass and graphite, and a fast-action glass rod like the dobyns 705cb glass has no problems whatsoever with that. in fact, the "R" in the lamiglas fiberglass crankin' rods stands for "rippin'" and i can attest that the XCF705R and SR705R are great at ripping in grass.

ive been looking for a new rippin rod also. i was using my deep crankin rod lamiglas SR765R but action isnt right for it. ive been looking a the powell spook and trap rod, anybody used this rod before?

ive been looking for a new rippin rod also. i was using my deep crankin rod lamiglas SR765R but action isnt right for it. ive been looking a the powell spook and trap rod, anybody used this rod before?

ha-ha, despite what i just said about the R standing for rippin', you're totally right about the SR765R. i had one too and it was not a good choice for ripping vegetation.

well i went with the powell spook and trap rod. got out to use it today and tell you, with 40# power pro this rips a 1/2 and 3/4oz lipless without any problems at all. i highly recommend it.