Sign in to follow this  
8assh0le

Line amount ?

What's the best way to utilize my line. I just spooled up a curado e7 with 10 lb yozuri. What do you guys do with the rest of the spool. Or should I use mono backing on the reel to get 2 reels full. use it for leaders etc? Or is yozuri spools of 275 just not enough?

Buy the 300 yd spools. Use about 40 or 50 yds of cheap mono backing...saves $$$

I use spinning gear, but I'd think the principle is the same. At any rate, I use cheap mono as backing and spool 50-60 yards of good line on top of it, thus getting five or six respools from one 300-yard spool.

I do the filler method with all lines I use. I use about 1/2 reel spool of junk line for a filler or just replace 1/2 of an original full spool of good line when it needs repacing.

For proper bass fishing setups, the bottom half of the spool is never used so why waste good line as a filler?

I do the same thing - cheap line for backing, then about 75 yards (or so) of "good" line on top.

As was said, you'll normally never see the backing while bass fishing...but one time I had a 40lb+ grass carp on the line and I saw my uni-to-uni knot disappear into the water as the carp was taking line out against the drag so I knew I had about 80 yards of line in the water.........then I started thinking "how old is that backing?" ;D