Sign in to follow this  
Pikesnogle

Line Breaks

Hey All,

First I want to say that I have gotten into the habit of really setting the hook hard lately. And it seems to be working really well, I rarely loose a fish. That being said, I have noticed that upon hook set I am breaking my line a lot more frequently than I ever have. The line snaps and I get a ton of line flying at my face.

I just put the Sufix 12lb on my reel about 3 months ago, and I am tying a great knot. I have never really had a problem with this. So I guess my questions are, should I re-spool? Try a new knot? Try a new line? Not set the hook so hard (I can't believe I just asked that)?

Thank you for any and all input,

Snogle

I have recently recieved a bad batch of line, which caused me to lose the most expensive bait I have purchased lol.  After some testing, it was brittle enough to pull apart by hand with almost zero effort for maybe another 100 yards after what I had spooled.  I would test the line, and take the bad line off if it's breaking that much.  Also if you're running through heavy cover, or the line is dragging on rocks or something, you'll want to re-tie often.  Very possible it's just bad line though. 

Is it breaking at the knot?  Or midway up the line?  I'd also make sure that there's nothing rubbing the line, maybe a sharp area of the spool, or guides.  If you don't find anything, try re-spooling.

While it is possible you have a bad spool of line more often than not this is not the case. What knot are you tying? Are you goobering the knot before you pull it tight? Is the line in the range of your rods line rating?

12# line will allow you to feel more bites but ya better retie often which is why I use 15#, that little extra is worth it.

[movedhere] Fishing Tackle [move by] five.bass.limit.

12# line will allow you to feel more bites but ya better retie often which is why I use 15#, that little extra is worth it.

The lure should be retied occasionally, especially after you have caught a heavy fish, or a few smaller ones, or had to work the lure loose from a snag by using a lot of force.

Secondly, be very careful if you use a backlash bic tool or whatever they are called to clear a backlash.  The tool can nick your  line, and that could cause breaks.

Third, if you are fishing around rocks where the rocks can fray the line, you need to be careful and cut off the bad line.

And finally, some lines are more abrasion resistant than others.   

Hope this helps.

I have recently recieved a bad batch of line, which caused me to lose the most expensive bait I have purchased lol. After some testing, it was brittle enough to pull apart by hand with almost zero effort for maybe another 100 yards after what I had spooled. I would test the line, and take the bad line off if it's breaking that much. Also if you're running through heavy cover, or the line is dragging on rocks or something, you'll want to re-tie often. Very possible it's just bad line though.

Is it breaking at the knot? Or midway up the line? I'd also make sure that there's nothing rubbing the line, maybe a sharp area of the spool, or guides. If you don't find anything, try re-spooling.

Looks like it is breaking close to the knot or right at it.

Sounds like its probably just a case of not re-tying often enough. Or, you might want to try a different knot. I fish primarily in the many rocky and timbered lakes of the Ozarks area and use a Reverse Clinch and don't have any issues with break-offs near or at the knot.

You might also consider a more abrasion-resistant line as mentioned previously. I use mainly fluorocarbon which is great around rocks. Suffix Siege is a really good monofilament with good abrasion-resistance.

BTW, I rarely use line lighter than 14 lb. unless I'm using spinning gear - then I'm down to 8 lb. fluoro and use more of a reeling, sweep set.   

Sounds like its probably just a case of not re-tying often enough. Or, you might want to try a different knot. I fish primarily in the many rocky and timbered lakes of the Ozarks area and use a Reverse Clinch and don't have any issues with break-offs near or at the knot.

You might also consider a more abrasion-resistant line as mentioned previously. I use mainly fluorocarbon which is great around rocks. Suffix Siege is a really good monofilament with good abrasion-resistance.

BTW, I rarely use line lighter than 14 lb. unless I'm using spinning gear - then I'm down to 8 lb. fluoro and use more of a reeling, sweep set.

Fair enough, I had Fluoro on for a little while. I didn't really like it all that much. I throw a lot of jerkbaits where I fish, and the 'jerking' motion (spare me please) made the line dance everywhere. It was literally all over the place. I assume it's because fluoro is heavy, and this so called dance seemed to reduce my feel. It felt like I lost the bait a few times, or had no contact with it.

Also I like the lower test line. I am a huge feel fisherman and at least for me the lower test line just has a better feel to it. Rarely do I loose contact with the lure, and like to feel every rock, stump, log, nibble, or bite. Fluoro seemed to prevent my feel as far as said jerkbait fishing. Maybe I was just using the wrong Fluoro? I had the Stren Fluoro, 17lb test. Any suggestions if you think there is a better line?

Thanks.

Fair enough, I had Fluoro on for a little while. I didn't really like it all that much. I throw a lot of jerkbaits where I fish, and the 'jerking' motion (spare me please) made the line dance everywhere. It was literally all over the place. I assume it's because fluoro is heavy, and this so called dance seemed to reduce my feel. It felt like I lost the bait a few times, or had no contact with it.

Also I like the lower test line. I am a huge feel fisherman and at least for me the lower test line just has a better feel to it. Rarely do I loose contact with the lure, and like to feel every rock, stump, log, nibble, or bite. Fluoro seemed to prevent my feel as far as said jerkbait fishing. Maybe I was just using the wrong Fluoro? I had the Stren Fluoro, 17lb test. Any suggestions if you think there is a better line?

I understand, when you're used to something you get really attuned to it and always know exactly what's going on. And you're right, fluorocarbon will make a jerkbait act differently. Particularly it can at times cause the jerkbait to be jerked downward because of its sinking properties. As for sensitivity, as you said lower tests work better. I would stick with 12 or 10 lb. fluorocarbon for jerkbaits unless you're dealing with particularly large fish or a lot of cover.

I've tried the Stren Fluoro in 15 lb. test and didn't like it either. Currently, I use primarily BPS Fluorocarbon for most of my applications because of its affordability and durability. Some other brands I like are Seaguar Invizx, P-line Fluorocarbon (not Halo) and Trilene 100%. Based on what you've said, in my experience the Trilene and the P-line are pretty pliable (more similar to mono) and extraordinarily sensitive.

Some guys will tell you that Sunline is the best - which is probably true, but for the price I just can't justify it.

Oh yeah, I always use KVD line & lure conditioner on all my fluorocarbon to make it more manageable.

I'll also put in the customary plug for this website for Yozuri hybrid, because the stuff is just awesome and 12 lb. test Yozuri is very strong while maintaining a relatively small diameter.

Sorry this was a little long, but you ask some good questions and just wanted to give you my full 2 cents!!

Good luck!!!