Sign in to follow this  
gotarheelz14

One Trick Pony or Multi Use Tool?

Do you guys ever use your 7'6" Heavy rods for fishing soft plastics as you would with a shorter rod or do you only use it as a flipping/pitching tool.

Can it even be used in this way?

I ask because I now have three rods

7' Fast, MH,St. Croix Avid Casting

7' Moderate, MH, St. Croix Mojo Casting

7' Fast, M, St Croix Triumph

I am thinking of adding a 7'6" Daiwa Zillion for pitching/frogs. Depending on the day though, I might end up throwing all of my soft plastics on here as the 7' Avid might be tied up with spinnerbaits, or another form of plastic.

Do any of you do this?

The lure rating on a heavy is just high for t-rigs IMO.

Just wondering, what are all the other rods uses? I might be able to help recommend something

Here is what I have and what I use them for.

7'11" Hvy-flippin/pitchin/frogs and bigger swimbaits if I was to ever throw one

7'3" Med-Weightless senkos,flukes, etc etc, small swimbaits like Lake Fork Live Magic Shad, c-rigs, wacky rigs

7' Med- same as the 7'3" plus T-rigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits

7' Med Lt-cranks, jerkbaits, topwaters with trebels

Basically two are dedicated to a couple things the other two are multi use.  I usually rig each up the night before and hopefully I don't have to retie much.

St. Croix list their heavy rods @ 3/8-1 1/2oz or 1/2-2oz, I see it as being more of a combination of a flip-n-pitch rod & Carolina rod but it's all personal preference; I might like a MH for t-rigs, you might like a H, & some one else a M.

Adding a 7-6 to your outfits will be a good thing.  The action you choose will determine how versatile it might be.  I do 80% of my early spring LM fishing with a matched pair of Lamiglas XFT764C rods.  This rod's power rating allows for pitching ( primary use ) Carolina rigs, large spinnerbaits, jigs and heavier T rigs.  I have thown solid body frogs/toads as well.  This is my favorite blank, power with a tip that loads easily. Go for it.

I like my rods being multi-use. My primary flipping stick is a 7'6" MH. Works just fine as a worm and jig rod also when I'm using larger baits.  It's also my current frog rod.

I use a Dobyns 765 Flipping Stick for a lot of my Senkos, T-Rig plastics, as well as buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, etc... Great all around rod.

I also use a 7'8 4 power rod for C-Rig, T-Rig, jigs, Hula Grubs, and many other plastics.

Longer rods are great and certainly help.